AT&T roadmap outlines plan to bring fiber to 100 U.S. cities

By Shawn Knight
Apr 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. AT&T on Monday published a roadmap that aims to bring fiber Internet connectivity to 100 cities and municipalities across the country. The service would deliver U-Verse TV and broadband speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second to both consumers...

Read more
  2. Nima304

Nima304 TS Guru Posts: 365   +81

Still no gigabit services at or around the DC/Maryland/Virginia area.
  3. All I can really say is, it's nice to see the big carriers pushed into this. They don't want to see Google, take over as the dominating company. Also really wish Canada would wake up, and stop slacking off with it's insane prices and poor speeds.

$80 for a 15/10 which in reality is 15/1, because of the distance. All they worry about is the download, upload isn't a priority for them. So there went my general hopes, of using it for streaming services in the end. I wonder really what the price of AT&T's service will be, Google has at least given a large motivation for this. Otherwise people would be otherwise stuck, of course not everyone is privileged for high speeds in general.
  4. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 699   +164

Still won't get to my city.
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Why nothing for New York? If I were AT&T, NY would be my first choice due to the population density.
  6. Heihachi1337

Heihachi1337 TS Rookie Posts: 49   +11

Your state isn't the center of the universe. We don't care if it was "your choice" either.
    It could be due to a number of reasons: state not wanting to cooperate with AT&T, other competition preventing them from rolling out Fiber, amount of money and time to roll it out, or just that your state sucks in general.
    hahahanoobs and cliffordcooley like this.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I really take offense at that you know? I dont hate on your country and/or region... why hate on my beloved state (n)?

On the other hand though, there is a lot of competition here. We have 4 major ISPs here so that is why.
  8. ajm123

ajm123 TS Rookie

Why do you have to be so rude? He was just voicing an opinion.
    Jad Chaar and lmike6453 like this.
  9. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

Dear all Service providers, Y U NO GIVE DC METRO AREA/NORTHEAST US ANY LOVE.

Incidentally, rolling out to the DC metro area would be great; might push Verizon to start expanding FIOS again and start pricing "competitively" to someone besides Comcast. =p
    Jad Chaar and lmike6453 like this.
  10. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Maniac Posts: 933   +238

Who knows what AT&T's reasons are for not going with NY. NY is not being left out of Gb fiber love, though, and perhaps in a better way that behemoth telecom company eats NYC -
  11. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

12. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

13. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Booster Posts: 204   +28

Does everybody just say they want this? When it cost like $200 or more per month?
  14. LNCPapa

I pay nearly half that for 1/20th the speed. As far as I know google only charges about $70/mo for their gb service - lower than what I pay now.
  15. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,456   +1,759

Right, because nothing would serve the people of the US better, than lightning fast internet service for all the lobbyists in our nation's capital.....
  16. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

Well it would certainly leave them with more time to waste, without having to wait for the chainmail like documents to download in their emails... :rolleyes:
  17. LNCPapa