TechSpot

AT&T to send location-based advertisements

By Matthew
Feb 28, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. AT&T has announced a new location-based marketing service that delivers ads to mobile subscribers when they are near a participating brand or store. "ShopAlerts" is opt-in only, so you shouldn't receive any annoying messages unless you request them. The service is currently available to customers in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Read the whole story

2. yRaz

yRaz TS Addict Posts: 958   +114

They should give you a discount on your bill if they want to send Ads to your phone...just saying...

3. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 977   +87

With this new technology I'll never miss an opportunity to part with my cash! It will be so wonderful when I can drive my mercedes up to a hobo and tell them, "So sorry, if you had advertised on my phone I would have given you some cash. But Bob's house of weiners was first, so you're SOL."

4. Acespaces

Acespaces TS Member Posts: 75   +6

What happens when your close to a bar do they send you 10 different beer ads?

5. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 156   +8

yea.. adding to what has been said. how close do you have to be to receive the adds? say your driving by stores/bars and receive tons of ads??

hmmm.. maybe they will figure out how to not send ads to human that are traveling 40 MPH

6. OUTLAWXXX

OUTLAWXXX TS Rookie Posts: 51

Hellz no they won't, not if their lobbyist have anything to do with preventing that sort of regulation. This is capitalism, may the best survive >_<

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.