TechSpot

AT&T unleashes solar-powered phone chargers into New York parks

By David Tom
Jun 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Mobile users know the feeling all too well; the desperation that accompanies the last few minutes of a fleeting charge on their smartphone. With capabilities such as music, games, and internet browsing all stemming from a single handheld device, battery...

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 747   +235

I give it 10 days tops until one of these is stolen.

hammer2085 and Wendig0 like this.
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,240   +1,548

WOW, a whole ten days! lol

Cool idea though, if they can keep them in service.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,331   +804

How exciting. Now you can spend the whole day in the park, in the rain & snow watching your phones battery charge. Not to mention coming to blows with some thief who wants to make off with your phone.
    P.S. Apple users probably won't have to deal with the ramifications of my last comment.

5. Vandalism.. an easy way to steal phones.. *clapping away like a monkey with cymbals*

6. Ean Mogg

Ean Mogg TS Rookie

I just don't understand phone companys ,,don't they realize the whole back of the phone is unused,,, Put A Solar Panel There On The Back ffs..

7. Fbarnett

Fbarnett TS Enthusiast Posts: 183   +24

Man stuff gets dumber everyday

8. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,240   +1,548

For the record, I don't think it's a dumb idea. The stations can be used for charging more than just cell phones. If the stations had been put in low traffic areas, then may be that would be a different story. They were put in high traffic areas, and I'm willing to bet they are under surveillance.

9. Hey one questions is there a sun in NY outside of summer time ?

10. Yes! Now I can sit in the park and use my phone drinking a my Big Gulp Sod--Ah never mind. Its New York.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.