TechSpot

Atari celebrates 40 years of Pong with iOS game, Xbox 360 mod

By Jos
Nov 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Pong, the famed table-tennis arcade game whose mainstream success spawned a burgeoning video game industry celebrated its 40th anniversary yesterday. To commemorate the occasion, Atari released Pong World for iOS, and is offering a chance for its Facebook fans to...

Read more

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,369   +405

40 years, eh? I still have an original Pong TV console game that my family bought way back in the day.

3. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

What was pong made with back then, assembly? lol

Nvm, looks like pong and c were in the same year...

4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 907   +54

Nope it was just electronics no programming. That's why you can't find a rom from pong, it doesn't exist.

5. Pffffft

no android version..... I hope the left and "Original" mode

6. distantreality

distantreality TS Rookie Posts: 55   +6

Oh yay I am 1 day younger than pong that sure does't make me feel over the hill! sigh lol

7. Curt Vendel

Curt Vendel TS Rookie

Actually PONG was "engineered" not programmed... these were the days of using gate level chips, simple on/off chips to generate video, audio and movement. No CPU, no "Intel inside" and no ROM chips or programming code...

If you really want to know the full story about Atari, how it started, how PONG was built, and how Atari once dominated the arcade and video game industries and was a contender in the home computer market, plus find out all about how Steve Jobs first job was at Atari as a tech, how Steve Wozniak, working at HP at the time, helped his friend by building Atari Breakout and much more, go to Amazon and search for Atari Inc Business is Fun, its the first in a series of books on Atari's history, this one covers Atari's creation from an idea in 1969 up to its smoldering demise by June 1984...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.