'Atari Vault' bundle featuring 100 classic games is coming to Steam

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Atari has revealed plans to release 100 of its most popular games in a Steam bundle called Atari Vault. The iconic company isn't just porting the titles over and calling it a day as they're adding a wealth of new features and capabilities for the modern era.

While we don't yet know the full rundown of games, Atari said the bundle will include favorites like Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Tempest and Warlords. Competitive gamers will be able to compete directly with others via online and local multiplayer (when applicable) and utilize Steam Leaderboards for bragging rights.

Games will feature a modern interface and as a Steam offering, they'll also be compatible with Valve's own Steam Controller. This could be quite compelling if done right as several older Atari games utilized a trackball controller (the Steam Controller can mimic the feel of a trackball rather well). The original '70s and '80s soundtracks will remain unchanged, we're told.

The bundle is currently being developed by Code Mystics and is set to launch this spring. No word yet on pricing or which other games the bundle will include.

If you happen to be attending PAX South this year (January 29-31 in San Antonio), you can schedule a meeting with Atari to check out Atari Vault as well as Pridefest for iOS and RollerCoaster Tycoon World for PC.

Permalink to story.

Im sure ill get roasted for this, but just because games are "classics" doesnt mean they are good games in comparison to ALOT of titles from the last 15 years. no one will pay 30-60 for this. maybe 5-10, and even then uncertain.

Im sure ill get roasted for this, but just because games are "classics" doesnt mean they are good games in comparison to ALOT of titles from the last 15 years. no one will pay 30-60 for this. maybe 5-10, and even then uncertain.

No I completely agree. Imagine how annoying it would be to have another 100 games in your steam library in addition to the huge amount many of us have acquired over the years.

No I completely agree. Imagine how annoying it would be to have another 100 games in your steam library in addition to the huge amount many of us have acquired over the years.

Yeah I was not impressed with the 3drealms Anthology installing every game separately.

I cut my teeth playing games like these, it was fun at the time but I can't imagine playing them today. I won't be taking any further interest them even if they were to give them away for free.

Let's see .... asteroid and ....... nope, I think that's about it. $1, maybe $2 max ...

Does not say if they are porting the 2600 versions of the games or the Arcade versions.

Nope on the 2600 versions.

Unfortunately, "Galaxian", one of the very best 2600 games, is not an Atari property. (A more elaborate version of, "Space Invaders", with better graphics).

This is at least a second try for the re-release of this material. I have these games on CD for the PC.

"Breakout", used to be fun but, the yaw axis of a standard joystick wouldn't come close to effectively emulating Atari's rotary, "paddle controller".

"Defender", (my pretty much favorite), wasn't included in the package.

Their Chess program was the absolute most obnoxious offering in the catalog. While the computer "thought about" its impending move, your TV screen flashed solid color panels. This effect was included in the PC release, and only god knows what the mentality behind that was.

Back