Meet the Atari 400, the newest mini console on the block

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Honey, I shrunk the console: The mini retro console movement is alive and well in 2024 with a new entry for the new year. Retro Games has introduced the 400 Mini, a half-sized version of the classic Atari 400 capable of emulating the entire 8-bit Atari range including the 400 /800, XL and EL series, and the 5200 home console.

The retro mini machine comes loaded with 25 classic Atari titles such as Millipede, Star Raiders II, Berzerk, Lee, and M.U.L.E. just to name a few. Optionally, you can bring your own games to the party and load them via a USB drive – a nice addition that would have made other retro consoles even more user friendly.

The 400 Mini can output at up to 720p 60 Hz, and features five total USB ports to support additional accessories like gamepads, keyboards, or joysticks. Each pre-loaded game also has four save slots, and you can rewind gameplay by up to 30 seconds to help tackle tough enemies or situations.

Nintendo is arguably responsible for kicking off the retro mini console with its 2016 launch of the NES Classic Edition. Knockoffs of classic game systems existed before this, but almost all of them were poorly made and a disservice to the games and experiences they attempted to recreate. Nintendo was the first to get the retro formula right with an officially licensed product that paid homage to its roots and didn't feel like a cheap piece of junk.

This paved the way for the SNES Classic and a whole slew of other retro minis including the Sega Genesis, the Sony PlayStation, and the TurboGrafx-16 Mini, among others. Nintendo arguably left money on the table by not releasing additional minis based on other fan favorite consoles like the GameCube or the Nintendo 64, instead electing to focus more on its Switch Online service for classic gameplay.

The Retro Games 400 Mini is available to pre-order now exclusively through Amazon UK for £99.99 (about $127) and comes with a single joystick, a recreation of the original Atari CX-40 joystick.

Permalink to story.

I've been looking into ways to play retro games, but I think I'd rather go with an Android handheld that will run more than just Atari stuff.

My first proper computer after the VCS and Pong was an 800. Fond memories. M.U.L.E. is a great choice, we could play that game for days.

But the CX-40 joystick? Ugh. You can keep it.

The problem with these mini versions of ancient consoles is that the companies releasing them severely overestimate demand and also price their hardware way too high. Most people who buy these buy it mostly for the nostalgia and nothing more. The further back in time you go for these consoles the less of a market there is for them. These Atari systems are from the 1970's and anyone who has fond memories of it would be in their 60's or 70's now. How many of them are willing to pay $127 for the mere nostalgia factor?

This is 100% kewl...!

Just have those games able to connect to modern TV is worth... I have an old Rear-projection TV in my basement hooked up to all the old consoles.

My first proper computer after the VCS and Pong was an 800. Fond memories. M.U.L.E. is a great choice, we could play that game for days.

But the CX-40 joystick? Ugh. You can keep it.

Same here. Saw a friends Apple 2e and decided to get an 8bit myself. After much study (not that easy in the pre internet days) I got an original 800 that came with the memory upgrade to 48KB. Man that thing was a blast. M.U.L.E., Star Raiders, Pinball construction set, and all the other great games. Sad it lost out to the C64, it was a much better computer IMHO.

Back