Athlon II x2 for gaming?

matchu

Hello.

Question! How appropriate is the Athlon II x2 for light gaming i.e. at reduced settings?

Also, what would be an appropriate GPU to pair with it? Would there be severe bottlenecking if I put it with a radeon 4850?

(This is for a budget box. Very budget. I saw the 4850 on sale for $60 CAD. )

Would there be severe bottlenecking if I put it with a radeon 4850?
That'd be fine.
You might want to consider starting a thread about building a computer rather than asking a random question.

I personally would recommend an Athlon II x3. It's a bit more but should serve you extremely well for a budget processor. It's pretty consistently recommended by Tom's Hardware as one of the best budget gaming processors. Here is also a very nice head to head of it compared to an i7 920.

Regarding your GPU, what exactly do you have in mind budget wise? The 4850 is a great budget oriented card nowadays that still delivers with the latest games as long as you don't plan on playing maxed on a high resolution. But you can get better if you have money to spare imo. Something along the lines of a 5770 or GTX 460 768MB would work well especially if there prices drop come next couple weeks when ATI/AMD releases the Radeon 6xxx series.

Thanks for the feedback. The box is for day-to-day activities and kind of a personal challenge as well. The cheapest entry level desktop I could find at a major retailer is $400 cad (Dell.ca). I'm trying to beat that. Choosing to make it moderately game-compatible is just a bonus

Back