TechSpot

Athlon XP and SMP - Success Stories ?

By Justin
Oct 24, 2003
  1. I've decided after much delay that I am going to build a dual athlon system next, since I won't be buying an opteron/A64FX system for at least a year or so.

However, I will be only doing so if I can do this reliably and with good performance using Athlon XPs, perhaps bartons. I do not want to spend the extra money on MP processors.

I know some of you here have sucessfully used athlon XPs in SMP configurations. So... if you have, please, post what CPUs you used, what motherboard you used, what type/brand of RAM you used, and your relative satisfaction level / any difficulties / incompatibilities you may have encountered.

So far, I'm looking at the following:

* Tyan Tiger MPX (I actually would like a dual socket a board that supports 166/200mhz FSB if possible)

* Dual 2200+/2400+ (If 133mhz FSB... I can always pin mod these)

* Dual 2600+ Barton (If 166mhz FSB and board supports barton... I can get a good deal on these)

* 1024mb PC2100/2700/3200 (Whatever the board will support)

Anyways... please post your success/horror stories with dual athlon XPs here.

2. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 271

why dont you try and tell us all if it works? <g>

3. Goalie

Goalie TS Booster Posts: 616

Hrmm, you twit... perhaps he asked so he COULD try, and hopefully find out that it DID work instead of plopping $500 on a system that sits next to his G3 aquarium/paperwieght...

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Back when I had MSI K7D Master-L, I couldn't get it working with dual XPs, even when using modded CPUs. However, I've heard a lot of people have succeeded. I'm not sure what was wrong. I recommend checking success stories from 2CPU.com forums.

5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

I found someone who managed to get a dual 2500+ ( Barton ) running at 2304Mhz ( 16 x 144 @1.85v ).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Complete specs :

BI XP2500+
    MSI K7D master + Zalman
    2*XP 2500+@2304Mhz
    512MB CORSAIR DDR2100 ECC Registred
    Western Digital 20Go ATA100
    Maxtor DiamondMax 9+ 120Go
    2 SLK800 +Papst
    Hercules Radeon 9800SE AIW +Zalman 80HCP

6. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 942

Hmmm... I was going to settle on the MSI K7D master after quite a bit of research into the boards. The only board that looked better was the Gigabyte 7APDX (or whatever), but didn't offer that much difference.

I will definately order that board now then. I will try it with XP 1700+ first though, one because I already know how to pin mod those and two because at $40 a pop I can't go wrong. If I succeed with those and with pin modding them, I will move up to the bartons and let you all know how it goes.

7. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 664

AFAIK you just need the latest BIOS Version, which supports Barton CPUs (At least according to what I read on 2CPUs Forums) and then do the L5 Bridge mod to get them recognised as MPs. I haven't tried this though, as I still have a pair of T'breds.

8. somekid007

somekid007 TS Rookie Posts: 271

sorry for my tacky post earlier, but the ModFatha did an article on how to mod the xps into mps. i forgot the url , but its at www.themodfathers.com, under articles and under modfatha articles. good luck

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.