Athlon XP and SMP - Success Stories ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

I've decided after much delay that I am going to build a dual athlon system next, since I won't be buying an opteron/A64FX system for at least a year or so.

However, I will be only doing so if I can do this reliably and with good performance using Athlon XPs, perhaps bartons. I do not want to spend the extra money on MP processors.

I know some of you here have sucessfully used athlon XPs in SMP configurations. So... if you have, please, post what CPUs you used, what motherboard you used, what type/brand of RAM you used, and your relative satisfaction level / any difficulties / incompatibilities you may have encountered.

So far, I'm looking at the following:

* Tyan Tiger MPX (I actually would like a dual socket a board that supports 166/200mhz FSB if possible)

* Dual 2200+/2400+ (If 133mhz FSB... I can always pin mod these)

* Dual 2600+ Barton (If 166mhz FSB and board supports barton... I can get a good deal on these)

* 1024mb PC2100/2700/3200 (Whatever the board will support)

Anyways... please post your success/horror stories with dual athlon XPs here.

Hrmm, you twit... perhaps he asked so he COULD try, and hopefully find out that it DID work instead of plopping $500 on a system that sits next to his G3 aquarium/paperwieght...

Back when I had MSI K7D Master-L, I couldn't get it working with dual XPs, even when using modded CPUs. However, I've heard a lot of people have succeeded. I'm not sure what was wrong. I recommend checking success stories from 2CPU.com forums.

I found someone who managed to get a dual 2500+ ( Barton ) running at 2304Mhz ( 16 x 144 @1.85v ).

DSC00699-640x480.JPG

DSC00693-640x480.JPG

DSC00696-640x480.JPG

Complete specs :

BI XP2500+
MSI K7D master + Zalman
2*XP 2500+@2304Mhz
512MB CORSAIR DDR2100 ECC Registred
Western Digital 20Go ATA100
Maxtor DiamondMax 9+ 120Go
2 SLK800 +Papst
Hercules Radeon 9800SE AIW +Zalman 80HCP

Hmmm... I was going to settle on the MSI K7D master after quite a bit of research into the boards. The only board that looked better was the Gigabyte 7APDX (or whatever), but didn't offer that much difference.

I will definately order that board now then. I will try it with XP 1700+ first though, one because I already know how to pin mod those and two because at $40 a pop I can't go wrong. If I succeed with those and with pin modding them, I will move up to the bartons and let you all know how it goes.

AFAIK you just need the latest BIOS Version, which supports Barton CPUs (At least according to what I read on 2CPUs Forums) and then do the L5 Bridge mod to get them recognised as MPs. I haven't tried this though, as I still have a pair of T'breds.

sorry for my tacky post earlier, but the ModFatha did an article on how to mod the xps into mps. i forgot the url , but its at www.themodfathers.com under articles and under modfatha articles. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back