Ati 1650 512mb Shutdown problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjk_620

I have a ati radeon sapphire pro 512mb vid card and im having this wierd shutdown problem where everytime i play a game, my pc shuts down soon after. Its not just games, i can be listening to music, or watching a movie. I figure its the video card because i have tested everything else. I know my pc is not over heating because i turned off the overheating temperature in my bios. I also put in another fan that mounts to the motherboard and i can aim it at whatever in my case.I know its not my operating system because it has shut off in the bios before the os has even booted, and i've even formatted and reinstalled windows to double check. I know its not my processor because i have bought a new one and tested it and it still sht down. My pc system includes 2 hard drives, 1 40 gig as primary, and 1 80 gig as slave. 1.5 gigs of ram, ddr2 memory. 500 watt atx power supply, and my ati radeon 512 video card. When i remoived the video card, it shut down after 7 hours instead of the 2 minutes, and after the first shutdown, it completly stopped. I dont think its the power supply because my cousin has the same problem with i beleive an ati video card and has switched his powersupply. I may be wrong, but i need some more opinions. If anyone can help, please e-mail me at alexjk_620@hotmail.com or jus reply to this.

You say its not heat related but have you used any temperature monitoring software? If so, what were the results?

i have, i forget the name of it, but everything was close to normal, but idont recall ever seeing the video card temperature. Besides, i turned off the overheat temperature in the bios, so it shouldnt shut down because of that unless it was the card.

Components will still shut down by them selves tho. The cpu will despite any bios settings for example.

My first guess would be that your power supply is either not big enough or is not putting out what it is supposed to. The reason I think that is because when you pull your video card, it last longer before shut off, but still turns off.

What size psu do you have?

This also reminded me of one time my cpu fan started to malfunction and the computer wouldn't stay on past boot up.

I have a socket 775 processor celeron d. I have the regular heatsink plus my adjustable fan pointed on the processor, and it stays at about 30-40 degrees celcius. my first guess was the power supply, but it was working fine for a few months before all the shutdowns started happening. I was gonna try to switch the ati for an nvidia to see if it makes a difference. but im gonnaa try that after i buy maybe a 600 - 680 watt atx power supply instead of my 450 or 500 watt atx. My cousin has the same problem and tried to switch power supplies and it still shuts off so im a little skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back