ATI 1900xtx stuttering after screen flashed white

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good mornin folks!

I have a question/problem that I can't figure out and I'm not sure what to try next.

About 2 weeks ago this Monday, i was watchin a TV Show on my PC, and the screens suddenly flashed white and the computer restarted and wouldn't boot. Hard drives were in a RAID-O array, and both failed somehow as they were testing bad with the Western Digital Data Lifeguard tools.

I formatted both drives, and reinstalled windows XP Pro x64, along with updates, drivers, and software. Ever since then, games and videos have been stuttering every few seconds. Games that worked fine before, now are almost unplayable. Even stuff from around 1999 like Age OF Empires II stutters....Its ridiculious. The Counter Strike source video stress test use to test out at about 159 fps, and now it tops out at 93 fps. (that may not sound bad, BUT it totally stopped every few seconds, where as before it played smooth the whole time) Even visualizations in windows media player freeze/lock up every few seconds......those played fine on my computer back in windows ME even. A few oddities, in Age of empires II, there is a mini-map on the bottom right of the screen showing the whole board, and anytime I click the box down there, and drag my cursor around to move to a different part of the map, the computer will lock up. Every time.

Everquest II used to play perfect on Very High Quality settings, and now extreme performance does the stuttering (if I have the game in windows mode, I can play fine but as soon as I goto gull screen, I get the stuttering back)

Thus far, I have done a clean install of the OS, along with the latest drivers for my motherboard chipset (ASUS A8n-Sli Premium)along with trying catalyst 6.4, 6.3, AND 6.5 Beta, along with the Nvidia Nforce 4 motherboard chipset Hotfix for ATI cards from ATI. Nothing has worked any better then the other. I used catalyst 6.3 before this happened, and have used a driver cleaner between each re-install of catalyst.

Do you guys think that the video card or motherboard went bad? With the screen flashing white when it restarted seems kinda bad......stuttering every few seconds almost no matter what seems unusual to. I've tried 3 different versions of ATIs catalyst program, flashed MOBO Bios, chipset drivers, etc.

Where would you guys recommend going from here? I'm not sure what else to try....Video Card, and Mother Board are under warranty, so they could be swapped under warranty if I can figure out one of them is bad I would think.

Thanks for any ideas and help guys!

System Specs if it helps at all -

1900xtx vid card
2GB Ram
250x2 WD SATA Drives
Windows XP PRo x64

It is a Thermaltake Xaser III Silent Pure Power rated at 480 Watts. I've had it for just over 3 years. I was using regular surge proctectors before, and I was afraid that something happened to my computer somehow (I kept ketting shocked by most things in my room - fridge, satellite reciever, audio reciever) so I got a 1500VA battery backup/conditioner to be on the safe side there.

Are you thinkin it went bad or had a power hiccup before?

While I was trying to test some more settings/drivers/trouble shoot in general, I got a error message I've never seen before in EverQuest II. - "The rendering device has become unrecoverable and everquest II must shut down".

I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it is new to me, and googling it produced nothing. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back