ATI 4890 OC, time to upgrade?

oscar1987

Hey guys

i few months back I got a ATI 4890 OC, love it. I play BC2 on it all on high setting, crysis on high settings as well and it runs smooth. since then i have seen the flood of videos cards that came out in the market, the ATI 5000 series and now I think ATI 6000 series. I've checked the reviews and see that they of course are more powerfull, but with todays game standards the 4890 works just fine, i dont mind upgrading for better graphics but to the naked eye is it really worth it upgrading right now?

I love excellent high quality graphics but i would hate to spend a few hundred dollars and get the same image quality. unless im wrong games aren't demanding stronger graphics cards right now, maybe crysis 2 but thats long times away?

But to the naked eye is it really worth it upgrading right now?

I love excellent high quality graphics but i would hate to spend a few hundred dollars and get the same image quality. unless im wrong games aren't demanding stronger graphics cards right now, maybe crysis 2 but thats long times away?

I personally think it isn't worth it for you especially with the games & peformance you mentioned. I just upgraded myself from an OC'd 4770 to a 6850. And on games like BF:BC2 especially in multiplayer when in the heat of things I don't notice a difference. I was already able to run it at very high in DX10 minus max AA/AF but now can do so completely maxed in DX11. In games like Crysis & Metro 2033 I'm actually seeing a night/day difference, but for most of my game collection which I already could handle I'm just able to climb higher in benchmarks. So I'd imagine you seeing a lot of sidegrades vs upgrades if you get something new unless you plan to go all out.

I'd recommend holding onto that 4890 until next year around this time when you'll be hopefully seeing some awesome new cards hit the market.

It depends on the resolution you're gaming at. If you're looking to drop money on a higher-resolution screen later down the road, you'd probably need to upgrade in order to keep image quality high and get high framerates as well, especially if you intend to game at 1920x1080 or higher, or if you plan on using an EyeFinity\Surround setup.

In any case, you shouldn't need to upgrade now, unless you're not going to be able to save up for both a monitor and a video card later.

Back