ATI 5870 fit in a Cooler Master Scout case?

Alster37

will any version of the ati 5870 fit in my coolermaster scout case without any modification to the case itself, e.g cutting up the hard drive bay. I have measured a space of 27.8cm but that might be inaccurate so i need to make sure. this asus edition is apparently 10.5 inches which would fit.
(can anyone confirm this?)

thanks

Hi Alster,
I do not think it will. The scout (storm) has a divider that extends below the HDD cage all the way to the bottom of the case.

opps scratch that, I have 5970 on the brain

the 5870 is 260mm +/- so make sure you get one that has the power connectors on the side (almost all do, but I have seen a few that are on the end of the card)

thanks red although il have to wait till christmas for the card. a paperround isnt the most well paid job as you can imagine :approve:

by then the southern island parts will be out, maybe it will drop the prices on the 5000 series.:D

il leave it as long as possible , so i might get a look at the upcoming card series you mentioned it is £340 after all.

I'm currently using the CM Storm Scout and I have to say a 5870 would be an extremely tight fit. You'll most definitely need one with power connectors on the side as mentioned, if not use the driver bay for extra room. This pic should give you an idea of what it might look like, just note that if your mobo has anything in the way you won't be able to do it.

If you are on a budget, look at the 5850 and overclock it to 5870 speeds. It's not hugely slower than a stock 5870, and as a bonus its slightly shorter. I put a 5850 in my Shuttle SP35P2 Pro case instead of a 5870 as my research showed that to fit a 5870 I'd have to either cut a piece out of the cards HSF sleeve or cut a part of of the plug of the PSU motherboard cable to get it to fit in. And wasn't that keen on doing either modification :)

Back