Ati 9800 pro problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently upgraded my video card and took my old card and put it in my spare computer. My old card is an ATI 9800 Pro. I installed it into an emachines computer with a 2800+ AMD Athlon processor, 160 GB hard drive and 1 GB of RAM. Now I can't run certain games, like Company of Heros, Civilization4 and the like. For some reason I can run FH2 on occasion.
A message will pop up that the rendering device couldn't format, that it is an error that occured due to wrong direct x version. Well we installed the newest one for direct X 9 and the same error still occurs. That and FH2 uses the latest version and will run when nothing else will. We have tried adjusting settings in smartgart and the regular settings with no luck.

When the video card was in my Dell it had no problems with the same games I have issues with now. That and before I installed the 9800 Pro in my emachines the geforce pci card that we installed at the beginning worked fine with these games other than they were a lag fest. That was the reason for installing the 9800 Pro, hoping the games would run a little smoother.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to get things to work?
Any help is most appreciated.

Yes you need to make sure that you have the proper drivers installed for your card. First if you have already tried various drivers please uninstall them through the directions below. The newest ATI drivers from my understanding do not 100% support AGP cards. Thus directX cant render across the drivers to you graphics hardware. You may also want to update your chipset drivers if you have not already done that.

1. Click on Start, then Control Panel, then go to Add/Remove Programs.
2. At the top of the list you should see several ATI entries or Nvidia entries. Select the entry entitled ATI Software Uninstall

Utility, and click Change/Remove.Also do the same for Nvidia if there
3. You will be prompted to restart your system once the uninstall is complete.
4. Once restarted, check the Add/Remove Programs list again for any remaining ATI software or other drivers that you have tried.
5. If any ATI software is still listed, click Change/Remove on those entries to uninstall each one individually.
6. Next, please scroll through the list until you find an entry called DAO (IF there use step 7)
7. Select DAO, then Click Change/Remove to uninstall this program.

1.Go to link and put in your OS and select your card from the list, hit GO. When the latest drivers come up -> Go all the way to

the bottom and select previous driver versions
Select version Catalyst 7.6 which was released in June and was the last few drivers to 100% support AGP. Double-click on the

downloaded driver file. Click Run
Use the default directory for extracting the files and press the Install button.
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers

2. Click Next on the first install screen.
3. Click Yes to the License agreement.
4. Click the Custom button.
5. Select the driver, catalyst control center (if wanted) and uncheck the box for steam
# The installer will start to load the display driver first.
Next you will see the WDM Capture drivers load (for VIVO or All-In-Wonder).
The Catalyst Control Center setup will start shortly after.(if selected)
A dialog box will indicate the install progress.

6.Click Finish to restart your computer.

Your not done, ->Follow below.
7.Go to Device manager-> add hardware => have disk
8.Select the Driver location yourself which should be C:\ATI\Driver Fold

This thread is for the use of Angela only. Please don't post your own video card problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our Audio and Video forum.

Blind Dragon said:
Your not done, ->Follow below.
7.Go to Device manager-> add hardware => have disk
8.Select the Driver location yourself which should be C:\ATI\Driver Fold

I have done everything except this. I could not add hardware from the device manager.

Another problem, I don't have a disk for the 9800 Pro. I probably should of mentioned that it originally came with the Dell, so the only disk I would have would be for the Dell only.

Just go to control panel select add hardware and select that you 'have disk' even though you don't have a disk it will let you select the driver from the location that we downloaded it to

C:\ATI\Driver folder\driver

driver folder will be a long name like xp7_6cat something - should be only one there

select the driver

If budget allows, you might want to consider buying a new card. Most likely your card is not broken, however, 9800PROs are incredibly unstable. I hear about one breaking down every few weeks. Not to mention it was released in... 2003 I believe?

You may be able to get a few more months out of it, maybe more if you're lucky, and by no means should you ignore Blind Dragon's great advice, but I'm just suggesting you might want to consider upgrading to something a bit newer and more stable.

MetalX said:
If budget allows, you might want to consider buying a new card. Most likely your card is not broken, however, 9800PROs are incredibly unstable. I hear about one breaking down every few weeks. Not to mention it was released in... 2003 I believe?

You may be able to get a few more months out of it, maybe more if you're lucky, and by no means should you ignore Blind Dragon's great advice, but I'm just suggesting you might want to consider upgrading to something a bit newer and more stable.

Tell you the truth that computer isn't worth it. I finally upgraded my computer (video card and RAM) which is 5 years old. This other one is for when we have company over and play games on LAN or online. It needs a new motherboard and processor to make it worth it. It had a Geforce Vortec PCI card in it before (that we installed) so even if the Radeon dies it is still a big improvment.
The emachines is such a piece of junk that it would be better to buy another computer or completly rebiuld it. Maybe in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back