ATI 9800XT Radeon (blue screens, lock-ups, ect.)

By bbkiller
Jul 28, 2005
  1. hi, my first post here, i have had a nightmare with my 9800XT card over the last few months, whenever i install any drivers above 4.10 Cat. it seems to give me blue screens randomly, i have updated my motherboard chipset ect.. As ATI advised me to but still im getting it. Even today while running a 3d Mark test i got a blue screen. My GFX card (In the ATI overdrive panel) says its at 70-80*C outside of a game, In the "PC health" section in the start up the CPU is 30-40*C. I mainly get the problem playing the following Games, Battlefield 2, Joint operations and Blackhawk down. i cant figure this out and thought i would post here.

Im currently using the latest ATi drivers (5.7)

Any help would be grateful.

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

The 9800 series cards run very hot. Your card fan may be failing. You can get a VGA Silencer for about $15. It replaces the fan and heatsink and does a great job of cooling the card. You may also need to do a clean install of Windows if you've changed the video driver alot.
  3. chadstout

chadstout TS Rookie

I am having this same issue. I have a Arctic Cool ATI Silencer on the card. Same thing happens. If I run anything below 5.0, everything seems to run fine.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.