TechSpot

ATI.COM

By LNCPapa
May 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Has AMD disabled ATI.com or is it just down for now? Might be worth a short story if it's gone for good.

-LNCPapa

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

If I type ati.com, it automatically redirects to amd.com. Is that what you are seeing? I'm using FF 12.0

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,411   +1,595

I'm getting a redirect with Opera 11.64 as well.

Edit:
    I wonder if this is a side effect of AMD dropping the ATI logo?

4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Topic Starter Posts: 4,374   +289

Nope - not what I'm seeing so nvm :)

5. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Yeah, AMD assimilated ATI a long time ago. Visiting ati.com should automatically redirect to amd.com.

6. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Topic Starter Posts: 4,374   +289

I'm just getting a failed redirect which is why I brought this up. It usually redirects for me but it hasn't been since yesterday.

7. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Why do you keep typing in ati.com anyway? :p

I get a HTTP 400 bad request, using IE7

8. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Hmm...redirect prevention add-on, or a setting?
    Half the time I'm getting a redirect to amd.com, the other half a DNS lookup failure.

9. josh7143

josh7143 TS Rookie

I, too, was curious why AMD would have taken down the ATI web site... I generally type the site (I.e. 'ATI') and press CTRL+Enter in the address bar, which adds the leading 'http://www.' and trailing '.com'. That being said, the reason for the occasional failed redirect is due to a misconfiguration on AMD's part.

Notice, if you type ati.com (no 'www'), it will 302 redirect to http://ati.amd.com/
    However, if you type www.ati.com, you will receive an HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request...
    More specifically:
    ---response begin---
    HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
    Server: AkamaiGHost
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Length: 193
    Expires: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 08:23:08 GMT
    Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 08:23:08 GMT
    Connection: close
    ---response end---

This likely was due to a load-balancing configuration, with some traffic hitting Akamai, when ATI had much more traffic. It's difficult to tell what server is misconfigured, or if Akamai simply didn't receive payment for services :).

Hope this eases someone else's curious mind .... At least it's [probably] not browser hijacking!
    --Josh

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.