TechSpot

ATI HD5000 or HD6000 & FireMV multi-monitor setup - can you?

By Savage1701
Jun 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Anyone tried a 5000/6000 series Radeon for video, HDCP, etc., along with FireMV low-end 2D multi-monitor display cards?

I'm trying to build a dual-use system where a couple of the monitor can be driven by a Radeon capable of transcoding, Blu-Ray, HDCP, etc. and the others are just low-wattage DisplayPort 2D cards for financial screens.

Can they co-exist in the same system, assuming the correct drivers are installed to each, etc.?

I don't need or want the power consumption or dual-slot use for 6 2D displays, nor do they have to do any digital "heavy lifting", but I don't mind, and sort of need, if possible, a modest 4000/5000/6000 Radeon card for a couple of the monitors.

Odd, I know, but has anyone tried anything approaching this?

Thanks.

2. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

Any HD4000 series card or above is capable of displaying two screens, either mirrored, or extended across two displays.

3. Savage1701

Savage1701 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 279

Maybe I wasn't clear - I want to use a Radeon and Fire series at the same time in the same system. I've used Radeons from the 2000 up series. I know they can drive multiple monitors. It's the mixing I want to know about.

2D display cards consume as little as 15-20 watts. I don't need 150-200 watt per card video cards to show stock quotes and charts, but I would like a modest Radeon as a primary card for doing a little video watching and transcoding every now and then.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.