TechSpot

ATI Radeon 9200 driver installation problem

By anshu12
Feb 28, 2009
  1. HELLO everybody,

i recently installed an ATI radeon 9200 graphics card ( i didn't buy it, found it )
    I tried searching for drivers but wherever i go and install the driver, the installation
    gives me an error message saying setup was unable to find components that
    can be installed on your current hardware or software configuration. Please make
    sure you have the correct hardware or software.

I know i installed the card propely but i guess i am missing some software or it could be my integrated graphics chipset that has done something.

Please help!
    Thanks

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,452   +227

The 9200 is no longer supported by ATI/AMD's recent drivers so you have to use older versions. It depends on your operating system as to which one. For Windows 98 use Catalyst 6.2. For Windows XP use 6.11 or older. I think for XP try 6.7 first.

3. anshu12

anshu12 TS Rookie Topic Starter

is there any site i can get these drivers from?
    because each site i tried with old drivers it said page not found

THanks for the info

I am still getting the same message no matter what version i download
    i found a website called old apps they every single ati driver catalyst version

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,911   +167

You may have to download Microsoft's .Net framework software first before trying to install ATI Catalyst video drivers. Is your computer fully updated?

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

1. Start your driver search here
    => Once the page comes up, click on All-Grahpics Desktop link
    2. just a note: Having noted mailpup's recommendation, I'm not sure why but be advised: I found that entering XP Pro 32-bit Radeon 9200 series comes up with v6.11 BUT if you look at ATI notes for v6.11 it doesn't list the 9200 series!
    3. If you use ATI Catalyst you will need NET framework. (but download v1.1 or v2.. you don't need NETframework v3 for this grahpics card)

6. anshu12

i already have .net framework installed

7. Tmagic650

8. anshu12

sorry i was away
    yes my computer is fully up to date with the latest version of .net framework
    and i have tried all the recommended driver versions.

Still it doesn't work.
    but i can still keep trying other techniques to get this working or else i can just
    go back to my integrated graphics card

9. Tmagic650

After all this, the video card may just be bad

10. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,373   +167

It's your call (whichever approach you prefer). But if you want to, we can also tackle the problem next by "looking under the covers" (before deciding it's a hardware problem) so to understand what's really going on and just why Windows keeps rejecting all those driver install attempts on your machine. fyi....
    • The Windows' device indentification strings for your computer hardware devices are what really count when it comes to Windows and drivers.
    • Human friendly device names are purely comments as far as Windows cares. (Device names are not device indentification strings). In fact, the device name is NOT any part of Windows' algorithm when it searches for, ranks, and chooses which drivers to install
    • So is up to you how you'd like to proceed. Digging into Windows can sometimes reveal the non-obvious problems. But, of course, it might trace down to something obvious... This would be a method to try and know for certain.
    I'm willing to help if you wanna give it a try. If you do, please do the following:

Check if Windows reports any problem devices
    • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
    • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
    • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
    • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

Generate a DirectX report
    • click Start->Run, enter dxdiag
    • Notice progress in lower left window corner
    • When done, click Save Information button and save to your Desktop
    • In TechSpot, use the paper clip icon to attach the reports. (If you don't see icon you may need to first cick Go Advanced)

11. anshu12

i guess i will just have to get a new graphics card since the catalyst problem is too much of a hassle, anyway i will not research on how to get this graphics card up and running, it's something i can live without. Thank you everybody for your help and support

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.