ATI Radeon 9550 and Compaq Presario

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure you have heard this all before but i am in need of help.....
OK i have a compaq persario S6289UK It has 2Gig ram , 80 Gig HDD and Intel Pent 4, 2.6gh CPU.

I wanted to be able to play the occational game and the onboard graphics are not up to it.

Brought a ATI Radeon 9550 AGP graphics card, brought a new 570Watt Trust PSU.

Install PSU turn on all working fine, checked the BIOS it is set to AGP/ONBOARD. Installed card......Nothing the machine turns on all the fan spin the HDD sounds like its spinning but no display. Move video lead back to onboard still no display.

I have already downloaded the lastest driver for the graphic card but can not do any thing with them.

Any ideas???

I know the PSU is up to the task as it is brand new and quite high wattage the only thing i am not 100% of is the AGP slot, the ATI Grap card fitts but i am unsure about this 2X, 4X and 8X the ATI grap card "should be installed in a 8X AGP slot but i dont know what is on the board

Any help much appriciated

What other options do you have besides "AGP/ONBOARD"? Since it is set to your onboard graphics, your new, installed card is not recognized.

Okay, that setting (AGP/Onboard) appears to be the correct one. The Radeon 9550 should be compatible with AGP 8x or 4x. Is the card fully seated? Make sure it's all the way into the slot.

I have had it in and out a number of times but will give it another go.

On older PC you used to have to put a jumper on to disable the onboard stuff could i have to put a jumper somewhere????

Because of the choices presented in the BIOS that seems unlikely but you would have to consult your manual to be sure. That said, I looked at your PC's user manual and didn't see anything about that but, then again, that manual lacked some technical details.

OK found old AGP card from old machine put in my machine and display works fine therfore my AGP must be working. Then put new card in old machines AGP slot and nothing.

I therefore believe the card is NOT working (all this work for a faulty card

Will take card back and exchange foe a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back