ATI Radeon 9800XT replacement question

alienuser09

As it appears mine is failing, I'm looking to replace my old ATI Radeon 9800XT graphics card with same product (just trying to keep this old computer going/gaming till I can finally get a new system). I've found several "new" Radeon 9800XT cards for sale at reasonable prices, but they're not made by ATI/AMD. Apparently they ARE made with ATI/AMD chips and GPU's. Can anyone please advise as to whether these cards are comparable to the original product? I was hoping to just be able to swap out the card and not have to deal with driver uninstall/reinstalls. Is this possible with these 3rd party ATI cards or do they use different drivers/software?

Any advice is appreciated!

If the brand of the replacement card is Diamond or Sapphire it's basically the same thing, think there were a few others. If it's a reference design then your existing drivers should work, really need to know the exact brand to be sure.

I guess since the drivers are already in place it wouldn't hurt to try.

why not just uninstall the drivers and reinstall them with the new card not like its hard or anything takes less than 2 minutes to do.

An update:

Purchased a replacement ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB - this one was manufactured by Systems Intl Business Corp.

Did have to uninstall/reinstall the Catalyst drivers, but used the same exact driver suite (which is a good thing since the installation CD that came with the card was defective).

Odd thing about the install - there was NO power connector on the new card. This had me scratching my head a bit, but apparently it gets ALL its power via the AGP slot.

New card is operational and seems to be working fine.

Back