Not open for further replies.
  1. Current specs:

XP service pack 3
    .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Dell Precision 450
    Dual Xeon 2.66Ghz
    3.00 GB of Ram
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000

Let me begin by saying that Quadro FX 1000 is a great card however it doesn’t support DirectX10. Dell Precision 450 doesn’t have a PCI-e slot so I buy AGP Radeon HD 2600 PRO since it has pretty solid reviews. Remove my old card , insert the new one and the hell begins.

The card came with the driver version 6.14. When I installed it and rebooted, the screen would turn off just before the windows login screen. So I would boot in the safe mode. Would run uninstaller, run Driver Cleaner, search for ATI registries and remove the ones the Driver Cleaner missed. Then I would install a newer version of the driver and would get with the same result. I tried these versions : 8.3, 8.49, 8.52 hot fix, 8.53. Nada. Once you are out of safe vga mode, the screen goes black. Some of the installers gave me regpermwriter.exe error. Some gave “Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware” error although they were listed as AGP Radeon 2600 HD PRO drivers.

I never was able to boot it once in normal mode , even the first time. I never had any ATI drivers previously installed on my system. So I am back to my Nvidia card. Can anybody help ? Should I give up ? Does anyone knows if there is an AGP Nvidia with DirectX10 support ?
  2. jamesc

jamesc TS Rookie

Same problem ... temporary workaround

Hi

I have the same issue. I uninstalled Service Pack 3. Previously, it would boot up and see the Windows logo and the progress bar, which would freeze. After uninstalling Service Pack 3 I've seen no issues. Interesting thing is that Windows Update will not apply 3 updates:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
    Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)

Not sure if it is related, but it is a coincidence. I'm no Windows expert, so I'm stumped and would prefer a solution than a workaround.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.