TechSpot

ATI Radeon HD 4870 weird flickering problem (video to showcase)

By harrisdurrani
Jul 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys its a bit hard for me to explain the problem that I have with my ATI radeon HD 4870 card but I made a small video for you guys to check it out.

Any Ideas on what I can do to get this fixed or is my card on the verge of dying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_4_haPMVIo

Thankyou any help would be appreciated
    Cheers

2. SINEKT

SINEKT TS Rookie Posts: 31

Video card is broken. Something gave up around the video memory or the memory itself.

3. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,086

Try and RMA it if you could, otherwise consider to invest into a new video card :)

4. harrisdurrani

harrisdurrani TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 257

So i thought that my videocard is probably busted and i went ahead and bought a Brand New Sealed HD 6850 and now although the problem is gone from the desktop it does happen when i play some games at high settings 0o...

5. harrisdurrani

harrisdurrani TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 257

actually its back flickering on the desktop again

6. SINEKT

SINEKT TS Rookie Posts: 31

Oops...:D Then it's definitely the motherboard. Also check the video slot on the board, it might be damaged, or the case preventing a good seating of the video card on the slot, wires or fans getting in the way etc.. I would try the on-board video card too, if you have one, just to see if it does the same.

It's a bit weird, I have never seen a motherboard give such symptoms. Usually when you see bars like that it's the video card, but I guess you never stop learning new things along the way :blush:

7. Coodu

Coodu TS Enthusiast Posts: 179

I must admit I haven't seen such behaviour and a faulty PCI-E slot doesn't come along very often. Bad luck mate! New motherboard shouldn't set you back too much if you just need the one PCI-E slot, etc.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.