TechSpot

ATI Radeon HD 4870 weird flickering problem (video to showcase)

By harrisdurrani
Jul 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys its a bit hard for me to explain the problem that I have with my ATI radeon HD 4870 card but I made a small video for you guys to check it out.

Any Ideas on what I can do to get this fixed or is my card on the verge of dying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_4_haPMVIo

Thankyou any help would be appreciated
    Cheers

2. SINEKT

SINEKT TS Rookie Posts: 23

Video card is broken. Something gave up around the video memory or the memory itself.

3. bushwhacker

bushwhacker TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 783

Try and RMA it if you could, otherwise consider to invest into a new video card :)

4. harrisdurrani

harrisdurrani TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 159

So i thought that my videocard is probably busted and i went ahead and bought a Brand New Sealed HD 6850 and now although the problem is gone from the desktop it does happen when i play some games at high settings 0o...

5. harrisdurrani

harrisdurrani TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 159

actually its back flickering on the desktop again

6. SINEKT

SINEKT TS Rookie Posts: 23

Oops...:D Then it's definitely the motherboard. Also check the video slot on the board, it might be damaged, or the case preventing a good seating of the video card on the slot, wires or fans getting in the way etc.. I would try the on-board video card too, if you have one, just to see if it does the same.

It's a bit weird, I have never seen a motherboard give such symptoms. Usually when you see bars like that it's the video card, but I guess you never stop learning new things along the way :blush:

7. Coodu

Coodu TS Booster Posts: 173

I must admit I haven't seen such behaviour and a faulty PCI-E slot doesn't come along very often. Bad luck mate! New motherboard shouldn't set you back too much if you just need the one PCI-E slot, etc.