ATI Radeon HD 5800-series pricing revealed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

We've been hearing many good things about AMD's upcoming DirectX 11 GPU, code-named RV870. Starting with an early demonstration back in June, the company has been touting new features like tessellation, soft shadows, and ambient occlusion -- even offering a glimpse at them running on an “Evergreen” reference card at QuakeCon.

There are also rumors floating around about a 1.6x performance increase over current RV770 chips; and yet solid details regarding price are still elusive to us. Several sites have suggested a starting point at around $249. However, if Bright Side of News is correct, the first cards could sell for a bit more than that.

According to the site, the Radeon HD 5850 should retail for $279-299 (about the same price that the 4870 launched last year) while the 5870 will sell for $100 more. They also expect AMD to announce a dual-GPU, single PCB variant dubbed Radeon HD 5870 X2, which will reportedly launch at a hefty $599. The graphics firm will leave the $499 bracket empty, perhaps waiting for Nvidia to make its move and then adjusting its pricing strategy accordingly.

Nvidia may be a little late to the party, though. The latest rumors suggest their competing GT300 card will begin shipping "in December at the earliest," while AMD is prepared to launch its Radeon HD 5800 series in late September and will start mass shipping in October.

Permalink to story.

I hope by mid range for the $300 card, you mean the middle of the high-end cards, not a mid-end card... Plus as far as I remember, the 48xx series were all counted as high-end or enthusiast cards.

I agree,the way it was put makes my 4770 sound like i just bought a 4350.

Yes, that probably came out the wrong way... the HD 5850 is just the cheapest of the bunch but still part of the high-end 58xx series.

Fixed that to avoid any confusion.

i wonder why amd dont make a better website,the site they have is bad and complex
why dont they copy from nvidia and be better than they r now?
nvidia is more expensive but more powerful,i dont find anything special in ati, and im a user of ati

I've saved $700 for this moment and I'm ready to get an HD 5800 series card.
I currently have a Diamond Radeon HD 4890 XOC.

I also have two 6-pin PCI-E Power connectors ready to go for Crossfire.

I'm well prepared for the series to come, and all I can do now is play the waiting game.
I'm seriously watching the days go by for these DirectX 11 cards. If this wasn't the case, I'd get another HD 4890 XOC and destroy my games FPS-wise. Or I can hang on for ONE MORE MONTH and get what will be considered the best.

We're waiting for you, AMD ><

I know what you mean, Im running 4890's in Crossfire and know I will be set up for the
next few months, probably only going to go to the 5800's mid next year when the
CC software has been well run in and the card prices have stabilized cause I know the
4890's xfire will probably match up with the 5870 or at least the 5850.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back