ATI x800 xt problems...

By xiaobao12
Jan 15, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

The other day, I decided to update my drivers. So, I accidentally installed the new set of Catalyst drivers (7.1) without uninstalling the old ones. Then, I realized what I had done so I tried to do an uninstall (with driver cleaner). However, when I went to boot in safe mode, the computer hanged at 440agp.sys. So, I plugged in my internet, went online, and looked up this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764

After I did that, when I tried to boot in safe mode, it hung at mup.sys. So, I also tried disabling that but then when I tried to access the safe boot menu at start-up by pressing F8, it would just ask me for the operating system and it wouldn't give me an option to boot in safe mode. So, I just decided to go ahead with the uninstall in normal bootup. I uninstalled, ran driver cleaner (and cab cleaner), rebooted, and installed the 7.1 display driver only. Everything was fine until I restart the computer and after Windows started up, I got the BSOD. So I restarted again and now I am here. The computer is running fine but it is running on the old display adapters as when I click on device manager, there is an exclamation mark by RADEON x800xt PLATINUM EDITION. And below that, there is another line that says: RADEON x800xt PLATINUM EDITION SECONDARY.

I have been using this card in this system for 2 years without any problems. I am running a Dell 4600 with 1GB of RAM, 2 HDS, 2 opticals, Audigy 2 Platinum, and many USB devices all on a stock PSU.

Oh, and when I uninstalled, there were a few items that I couldn't uninstall from the add/remove menu...so I followed ATI's guide to uninstalling manually in addition to running driver cleaner pro. However, there are still a few items that are still listed in the add/remove menu which I couldn't remove. I don't know if this could have affected the installation of the new drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.