Atom-based home-build?

Row1

Hi, everyone-
We had an Asus EEE, until a toddler spilled a drink on it, killing the keyboard and mainboard. Asus decalred repair cost to be about what I paid, so I said, just send it back to me so I can scavange.

Are there good websites for info on building an Atom-based computer? Newegg does not seem to have a lot of MBs. Who does?

What else can I scavange off this dead EEE? Thx.

cool. now, looking at soldered-processor issue.

cool. thanks.

but in beginning to think abt this idea, i have discovered that the atoms are usually soldered into the motherboard -i have no idea how easy it would be to un-solder.

I know how to un-solder, but I have only done it on traditional electrical components, not on a processor. Always something new.

My plan is to build a computer dedicated to playing music files / my CD collection in WMA or mp3.

OK, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by, "Newegg doesn't have very many choices in Intel Atom mobos", but I came up with 18: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rder=BESTMATCH&Description=intel+atom&x=0&y=0 on a quick search. Please note these all all "motherboard / CPU combos".

So. it seems to me, that you should be able to find something that suits your needs / whims / flights of fancy, without skulking off to reinvent the wheel by "resoldering" CPUs. (A job incidentally that is better off done my machine, and or, tiny fingered asian women).

Trust me, you'll just break something.

Yes Row1,
plenty of choices here. If the CPU is soldered in place, the replacement motherboards will include CPU's. It should be easy to get your EEE back up and running without much cost or hassle

Back