TechSpot

Attackers prey on inexperienced Google Chrome users

By Matthew
Apr 19, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. In a new post today on BitDefender's Malware City blog, the company warns Google Chrome users of malware-laced emails. Attackers are reportedly sending unsolicited messages informing users of a new Chrome extension that helps "better organize your documents" received via email. A seemingly innocent link is provided, and once clicked, users are redirected to a clone of the Google Chrome Extensions page.

Read the whole story

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,664   +86

Wow! Thanks for this. I'll keep eye out since I use this browser.

3. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TS Enthusiast Posts: 515

hummm... same here! thanks for info, even if i never really follow links from e-mails.

cheers!

4. z71kris

z71kris TS Rookie Posts: 20

I was think who usually follows links from emails unless you know the person who sent it to you, and furthermore how does "the" google get your email address to send you a link to download a file....

5. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 886   +22

How would I, as a user of Firefox, know that Chrome add ons have a .crx extension? I bet a lot of people will fall for this. Your getting too technical.

6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,066   +84 Staff Member

If you don't use Chrome this wouldn't apply to you at all anyway :p.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.