TechSpot

Attempting to dual boot

By brett73
Jun 19, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone,

I am attempting to dual boot two OS's on my system and am hoping I could get some assistance. I am running Windows 7 RC1 (7100) and am trying to set up a dual boot environment with Windows XP. I found a guide on the techspot site "/guides/143-dual-boot-windows7" and followed it exactly. The partition was created properly and Windows XP installed to it with no problems. However, I do not get an option at System Startup to select the OS. After installing Windows XP it would only boot to XP. I had to insert the Win 7 disc and do a system repair, this now allows me to boot back to Windows 7 with no problems; however, I still do not have an OS choices menu at the beginning, when I boot to the OS choices menu it just shows Windows 7.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

The main trick is that Windows 7 has to be the first OS installed on the hard drive. Once that is installed and running, and the WXP version can then be installed second. There are a set of procedures for Dual Boot of either WXP or VISTA... I would follow the guide for VISTA you will find in any good VISTA book as Windows 7 should be very close to the same.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.