ATX vs ATX12V...Need To Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabe1972

I am going to upgrade my power supply in my Dell so I can put a Geforce 7900GT or better video card in it. It is PCI Express. My question is do I need an ATX or an ATX12V power supply? The present one has the 24 pin and the 4 pin power hookups on it. Does the ATX12V have an extra power connector or something? Of course, I can't tell you what power supply or motherboard I have, as they are the wonderful Dell versions of whatever they are. I guess I just really have no clue as to what the difference is between the two PSUs. I know that whichever one I get I will most likely have to have the PCI-E 6 pin power plug. I am going to get one that is at least 450w. Any help with explaining the difference so I know what to use would be helpful. I am not really looking for suggestions and what brand or any specific model to buy, just the difference. I just need to know if I need one or the other. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dells are tricky. Some of them have proprietary power supplies.
This is one machine where I would not buy online if you can help it, but rather pull the power supply and take it down to your friendly neighborhood computer parts store, or repair center... for a comparison side by side with the choices at the store.

This one does not use a proprietary power supply. I know that Dell has used them in some systems, but this one is just a normal one. Dell sure does like to screw with things though, don't they?

I only know this from a few postings on the Dell message board, but that still doesn't tell me what the difference is between the ATX and ATX12V. I just don't know if a 12V has extra plugs or something that won't work with my motherboard. Like I said, it has a 24 pin main and a 12V 4 pin power, and of course the other drive connections. Does the ATX12V have more than just the 24 main and the 4 pin power? I think the one that is in it now is just an ATX, but not really knowing the difference is what is the problem. The last time I changed a power supply in an older computer it was just ATX with a 20 pin main and a 4 pin power, plus the drive connectors. It was pretty simple.

You can use either. The ATX12V is a newer design, and the Dell just won't use some of the stuff... so you can suspend some wiring with rubber bands... then use it later on another computer when you sell this one to your mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back