TechSpot

Audio/ASIO Expert help needed

By pilz971
Feb 21, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I have an Acer T180 which for the last year or so I have been running Propellerheads Reason on. I have been interfacing with an Alesis io/2 and using the io/2 driver. I`ve never been able to get latency lower than 52ms and occasionally the audio output would become really badly distorted and un-listenable.

I thought this was mostly down to the sempron 1.8ghz processor and the 512meg ram. At Christmas my good lady upgraded me with an Asus M4N78-AM motherboard, an AMD Athlon II dual core 3ghz processor and 2ghz ram which would put an end to all my woes. Add to this Cubase 5 and my days are forever happy..............NOT SO! Cubase won`t play ball at all and just `buzzes!` through my Prodipe Ribbon8 monitors. Kontakt occasionaly `loses audio output and I get very sad and frustrated!

I`ve spoken with the nice people at Alesis and they`ve taken the io/2 in for a look.In the meantime I got a Lexicon Alpha, installed the driver and low and behold the same stuff all over again. I`ve ran DPC Latency Checker and while Cubase boots i get 2 spikes well into the red (4ooo+) and when I shut down Cubase 3 or 4 spikes at 4ooo+ . If I disable `Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller` in Device Manager the spikes go away.

I`m currently running all my audio apps through the on board card but this is obviously only of use as a temp solution.I hope I`ve givern all the info that you wizzards need to help me and eagerly await your pearls of wisdom.

Thank you, PaulE.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.