TechSpot

Audio Card

By Mark Fuller
Jul 17, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I am looking to upgrade my video card to a pcie or maybe a usb. I am looking to spend about $250 to $275. I have a hp pavilion d4100y with a 3.2 ghz processor and 4 gb ram. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. Blkfx1

Blkfx1 TS Evangelist Posts: 850   +201

Your question is pretty confusing. The title indicated your question is about an Audio/Sound card. But, in your actual question you mention upgrading your Video card. Which exactly would you like suggestions for? A budget of $275 would be a good start for either of the components.

3. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller TS Booster Topic Starter Posts: 126

I meant the audio card.

4. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

That PC is pretty ancient. It will bottleneck a high end audio card.

5. Jad Chaar

That PC is very ancient. That PC was considered VERY high end in 2005, but it is nothing worth talking about nowadays. The system will bottleneck a high end audio card.

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

I don't understand why you have $250 to throw away on an audio card, yet you don't have top of the line current-gen PC. What, you have Bose speaker setup or something too? :\

Why do you need the card?

7. Jad Chaar

The PC he has was a high end workstation in 2005. It had the newly released dual cores in them. I think he is under the impression it is still high end.

8. Mark Fuller

Yes I do have an old bose setup, but if it's not recommended I'll wait until I get a new system.

9. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Audio cards aren't recommended unless you have $300 monitors plugged to them, or have a need for an audio card that encodes into Dolby Digital Live for use with home theatre surround systems across optical.

10. Mark Fuller

Thank you for your information.