Audio Disappearing Problem

ladycetra

I have been experiencing a problem with my audio lately- I don't know how it started but it just occurred 3 days ago.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L745-PSK12L.

When playing videos or audios- there will come a moment where the sound will suddenly go out. It will last a few seconds then would come back again. I don't think it's with the files since I tried playing them again and they're fine. Also, when it goes out- It's like on mute since every audio- even the system sounds can't be heard. I tried doing the audio test when the problem occurs and there wasn't any sound either. This occurs randomly... Though it would only last for a few seconds, it's a real bother when I'm watching my series.

I've tried reinstalling the audio driver- Scanned for any virus- Even repairing and doing a clean install of Windows. But, no luck.

It's really weird t since I haven't done anything to my laptop before this happened...

I turned off my Windows Update and I haven't installed or done anything to it.

I can't figure out what I should do with it.

Hi, As you say that when the sound goes off, there are not even system sounds, it could be a fault with a connection to the speakers, or the socket from the main board to the ribbon that takes the audio to the speakers.
So a test would be to try headphones, does that work properly?

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I tried your suggestion and it seems that there is still audio when I use the earphones.
Another thing--- Whenever I plug in the earphones the sound would come back as if it's some kind of switch whenever it disappears.

This is really weird.

UPDATE: I tried something out and it seems whenever the file is still playing while the problem occurs. Even the system sound is gone. But when I pause or stop the playing file. System sounds comes back. And it seems I need to trigger some kind of other sound (like the *ding* from adjusting the volume level) for me to be able to play a video or music with the audio back. Again, it's like its some kind of switch to bring the sound back.

This is really weirding me out...

Hi, If the sound is always there in headphones, it could be that the headphone socket is slightly faulty. When you take the headphone plug out, a small switch in the socket makes contact and sends the sound to the built-in speakers. But if the contacts are 'iffy', sound will sometimes be ok, but randomly will be silent.
One answer, would be to have the headphone socket replaced, but the cost could be more than it's really worth. Another answer would be to use speakers that plug into the USB socket, I have used that idea before on a borrowed laptop, where the headphone socket had failed years before, but the audio is on the USB sockets also.
There are USB to 3.5mm adapters to allow connecting 'normal' speakers and headphones to the USB sockets. I bought one on our local market for a few £'s.

Another update. When playing the next or previous video/audio- The sound comes back...
Could it be because of the player? I'm only using Windows Media Player.

Update. Tried using VLC. Same problem occurs.
To sum everything up. Problem occurs randomly.
Weird things to do to bring back the sound---

*Stop/Pause the playing audio or video then click on anything that would produce a system sound. Like adjusting the volume.

*Press previous or next on the player.

Hi, I think if it was mine, I would go into 'Device Manager', and uninstall the 'Sound' driver, reboot the pc, and it will install again. Could be the simple way out of this issue !

sound.jpg

Thank you for the suggestion- though I already did that before many times. And the problem would still come back.

I'll have a technician diagnose this problem since I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to hardware. Maybe what you said earlier about the headphone socket going bonkers is right- Or maybe something funky is going on with my laptop...

It's sad that it's giving me so many problems since I got it...:'(

Back