Audio input problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I plug in my headset the speakers work fine but the microphone doesn't seem to record anything. I have tried using another microphone with no luck. When I plug the microphone in it does recognize it, nothing is greyed out, and I have all the various volume and boost settings turned up. When I adjusted the playback volume I can hear myself in the speakers but it doesn't record it in any program. I have tried plugging the microphone into both the front and back port with no results..

I am running Windows Vista 64 bit home premium with a Gigabyte MA770-UD3 motherboard with Realtek HD Audio onboard sound card.

Go to control panel/Realtek HD audio manager. What do you have for your recording device in the Realtek HD audio manager? When you plug in your microphone a new tab called Microphone should appear. Make sure the volume is turned up. Go to control panel/sound. Open then right click anywhere on the recording tab Check show disabled and show disconnected devices. You should now see System Mixer. Try setting that as your default recording device.

I ended up following Tmagics advice and it works now. I had tried setting system mixer as the default before with no luck.

Glad to hear you got it working.

So this added info may not even be relevant for your case.. but i add it for anyone else who happens to read the thread in the future... From what i've read, in Vista, some microphone not working problems can be due to Microphone Properties setings. Look for a check box (and make sure it is unchecked) that allows an application exclusive use of the microphone.

If checked, it allows one application exclusive use of mic, and then the mic won't work with any other of your apps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back