Audio Latency: This is tricky

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyPartain

So Im a musician obviously,
and I use Asio4All in Flstudio.

Recently,
My computer was running windows 7 and running everything fine.
I decided that I was going to reinstall windows to get a fresh start and have a clean computer.
I backed up all my music files, and things.

And I reinstalled windows 7

When it was back on,
I installed flstudio again,
Installed Asio4all,
and install the drivers for my usb audio interface.

Its a Tascam Us-122

Then i was like wtfff?

When i set my microphone input,
And i try to monitor live sound,
It skips at an even pace,

my fruity limiter skips with it.

So THEN,
Just to try something,
I installed Windows Vista,
and installed Flstudio,
Asio 4 all,

And the SAME THING happened.

I have an Acer Travelmate 5730

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

You didn't say anything about installing motherboard chipset and other drivers. Just checking but did you?

I think so.
I went to device manager and updated the chipset thing under "Display adapters"

Is there anything else i should update?

I already updated the sound drivers to realtek.
but im not sure thats what i had last time.
idk.

I use fl studio to, but when you say a even pace, do you mean a hole bar? or one beat?
and what version of fl studio and asio do you running?

can you give us details about your audio settings on fl studio, asio and Tascam Us-122?
It may help alot.

well im not sure exactly how fast the skipping is,
but it skips evenly,
and constant.

unless i slide the buffer slider all the way to 2048 for my sound driver

Then it doesnt skip,
but it get so much latency that there is no way i could play shows with it.

And i usually,
for the audio settings,
used to leave them at normal.
I would click the reset button,
enable my us-122 and id be good to go

im using fl studio 9,
which is what i was using before.

And i think im using Asio 10 beta 1?
not sure

First of, have you done this things? if not do it and then update us.

attachment.php

and also:

3. Playlist audio recording procedure

We know the next section looks complex with too many words, however it provides a full description of the external-audio to Playlist recording options and full step-by-step procedure. Once you understand the process it really only takes a couple of mouse-clicks to set up:

1. Pre-requisites - The pre-requisites for external recording must first be satisfied (as described above).

2. Don't record on the Master mixer track - When recording external audio on a mixer track, internal audio routed to that track will be mixed in with the external source so it is best to use a mixer track with no internal generators routed to it. Remember that the Master mixer track has all the other tracks routed to it, so this is definitely not the place to record external audio sources.

3. Input selection & Mixer track arming - Select an external input (6 see below). The options that appear in this drop-down menu will depend on your soundcard, most soundcards have at least one mic and one line input, however you may need to experiment to find the input that carries your external audio. Selecting an input will auto-arm the track for recording, as indicated by the orange disk icon (17). If you wish to use a USB mic or headset to record audio, follow the steps outlined here first.

4. Mono inputs - If you have a mono sound source that appears in only the L or R stereo channel, you will notice that the input options (6) are divided into 'Stereo' in the upper section and 'Mono' in the lower section. By selecting the Mono version of your input, FL Studio will record the signal into both the L and R mixer channels.

5. Naming & save location (optional) - If you want to select the name and location of the saved .wav file as something other than the default then press the disk icon (17) TWICE, firstly to de-select the arming and secondly to re-select it and open the file-name/location dialog. Select a location in the browse dialog and name the .wav file to be recorded. If you use right-click, an automatic file name will be assigned to the track. Do the same for all mixer tracks you want to record.

6. Recording Options - Open the Mixer pop-up menu. In the Disk Recording sub-menu select -
o Auto-create audio tracks - Saves the recording as an Audio Clip and automatically places it in the Playlist, after you press stop. NOTE: Automatic clip placement only works in song mode.
o Latency compensation - Removes an amount of time equal to the soundcard latency (buffer length) from the start of the recording, ensuring the audio is aligned with the internal events. NOTE: This setting does not affect the live sound, only the recording. See the point below on 'Monitoring' for ways to improve latency delay on the live audio passing through FL Studio.
o Bit-depth - This is the saved bit-depth. '32-Bit floating point recording' is only necessary if your soundcard is set to record at a bit-depth higher than 16-Bit (24-Bit for example). 32-Bit will preserve the full quality of all soundcard quantization's above 16-Bit. NOTE: FL Studio receives audio from the soundcard as a pre-digitized stream, the bit-depth set in the mixer has no effect on the recording bit-depth (that is set in the soundcard's own options). Saving a 16-Bit sample at 32-Bit will make the file significantly larger with no gain in quality.

7. Monitoring the sound being recorded - Monitoring is hearing the sound as it is recorded. Let's assume you are monitoring FL Studio through headphones and not getting an echo caused by feedback from your speakers into your microphone. By default, live inputs to the mixer are routed to the Master track and back to the soundcard outputs. As the audio path through FL Studio is delayed by an amount equal to the soundcard buffer length setting, the monitored sound may echo against the live source. Latency echo can cause problems for performers (e.g. vocalists) who need to hear their live performance mixed with the song. Latency echo can be eliminated in three ways:
o 1. Routing - Stop the incoming audio passing back to the soundcard by de-selecting the 'Send to master knob' from the mixer track you are recording into. Remember the send knob is located on the Master track, not the selected track. The downside is that you can no longer 'monitor' the recorded sound.
o 2. Latency - If you need to monitor your input signal, try lowering the buffer settings and see if the echo can be eliminated or reduced to acceptable levels. Of course there are limits to how low the ASIO buffer can be set.
o 3. Direct Monitoring - Use 'direct monitoring' if supported by your soundcard. Direct monitoring is achieved completely in hardware, routing a copy of the input signal directly to the soundcard outputs, and so eliminating latency caused by the software buffer.

NOTE: If you use direct monitoring it will be necessary to apply the routing solution 7.1 (in this paragraph), to prevent input to the FL Studio mixer being heard. Finally note that direct monitoring isn't common on basic (consumer level) soundcards, so consult the soundcard manual to see if it's available on your card. No manual? The direct monitoring options are usually found in the factory mixer associated with the soundcard driver. Many external USB/FireWire audio interfaces have a hardware button labeled 'Direct monitoring' or 'Monitor'.

8. Recording with effects - Don't! We recommend that you record all incoming audio without effects, add them later, as this provides maximum flexibility during post-production. If you want to monitor the incoming signal with effects while recording without effects -
o 1. Deselect the 'Send to master' knob on the recording input mixer track.
o 2. Re-route the recording input mixer track to a second empty mixer track.
o 3. Load the effects you wish to use on this second track and allow that track to pass to the Master.

The above setup ensures that the audio is recorded dry, from the input mixer track, passes to a second track where effects are added and then onto the Master track where it is sent to the soundcard outputs. NOTE: Edison recording makes this process simpler, put Edison in FX slot 1 of the input mixer track (so it has no Effects before it), then put any effects you want to hear below it (slots 2 to 8).

9. The Record Button: Prepare for recording. There are two functions associated with the Record button on the Transport Panel.
o 1. Recording filter - There is a recording filter pop-up menu, right-click the Record button and make sure Audio data has a tick (all data-types with a tick will be recorded, click to select/deselect items).
o 2. Arming - Left-click the record button to arm for recording. The button will light to indicate that record mode is activated (orange).

10. Start recording - Finally! Press the Play button to start recording.

11. Stop recording - When you are finished, press the Stop button. If you want all armed tracks to unarm enable the 'Disk Recording > Auto-unarm' option in the Mixer popup menu. If tracks remain armed and you press record again new Audio Clips will be created leaving previously recorded Audio Clips intact.

12. Where's my audio? - If you are in pattern mode, the recording will appear as an Audio Clip channel. If you are in song mode AND the Mixer menu setting, Auto-create Audio Clips is on, your recording will appear as an Audio Clip wave display in the Playlist window.

The Audio Files that were recorded to disk will be in one of three locations:
o 1. The directory set at Step 5 (above) OR
o 2. The FL Studio installaton directory ...FL Studio\Data\Patches\Recorded. This directory is shown in the Browser OR
o 3. If you have set a custom record location from the F10 > Project > General Data folder setting, your audio files will be there.

NOTE: All new Audio Clips are routed to the Master Mixer track by default.

you may try to lower the buffer size in asio panel if the latency is still too high.

I just read that thing over,
But ive already done all of that.

Im absolutely clueless why im getting so much glitches.

the CPU thing at the stop stays around 0-5 and every time the live monitoring skips, its at 0
if that helps at all

from theflipsideforum:

from APZX
Why use ASIO4ALL if the sound card has ASIO drivers? That is my first question. I mean seriously. ASIO4ALL is only there for if the sound you have doesn't have ASIO drivers in the first place. That would be the first thing I checked would be that. Make sure he is using the ASIO driver for the sound device. I checked and it does have ASIO Support. Also, note that as Latency is decreased it is going to hurt CPU performance more. Adding more to that is the fact the Sound device is USB based. This may not sound like a problem, but it is. USB is a Host Based interface. What does that mean? Well simply put every single bit of data that is passed through the computer goes through the CPU rather than through a controller. So, essentially there are two things working against the computer right now. First, is the fact that lower latency in of itself induces more CPU usage and the USB connection introduces even more CPU usage.

I've got a PCI-E x1 Sound Card that I run at 10ms latency and there is noticeable difference in CPU consumption if I jump to 50ms rather than 10ms. A personal note for using external audio interfaces would be to try and use FireWire because it does not cause as much CPU drain.

Okay, I'm rambling, but make sure the actual ASIO driver for the audio device is being used rather than ASIO4ALL. I'm a bit out of ideas on what exactly to do after, but with more details I'm sure someone can make a better call.

yup
asio4all is for devices/ soundcards that does not have asio support, too get support.
for you is asio on asio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back