Audio problem... running out of ideas

Okay here is the thing, on June 3rd, my audio stop working. I try to fix it but no matter what I did I couldn't get it work. On June 5th, my audio start working again. It kept working till June 10th when I had power blackout which cause my laptop to have improper shut down cause I had the battery out. I did system restore back to June 3rd and my audio problem start working again but then on June 14th, my computer overheated and had improper shut down which cause audio problem to happen again.

I can't system restore the computer again cause the june 3rd restore point is no longer listed even after I click on showing restore points older than 5 days.

Since then my audio has not been working. There is an x over the audio icon on taskbar which says no audio output device is installed. I went to device manager and realize that sound, video, and game controller is missing. I scan for hardware changes but it doesn't appear. I click show hidden devices and look at other devices folder but the only thing listed there is a keyboard filter. I check to see if there is yellow mark on all devices but nothing.

I check windows audio (automatic), I check on-board audio (enabled), did windows and hp update, (up to date but audio problem is still there), did a driver recovery and re-install the driver that came with computer (still have the audio problem).

I even went on add hardware and added another driver (realtek audio driver). I had my sound, video, and game controller folder back but the device had code 10 error. This device cannot start so I uninstall the device then the sound, video, and game controller disappear again.

I try to use microsoft fix it program and it say that I do not have

Speakers (Conexant High Defintion SmartAudio 221)
SPDIF Interface (Conexant High Defintion SmartAudio 221)

I went on the internet to look for the driver and I found it HP site. I download it and try to installed it but it say I already have following file on my computer when I try to overwrite it, install halfway but then towards the end, it told me access denied. Then a pop up shows up, saying that driver installation failed: could not find the device for this driver.

I am running out of ideas on how to fix it. I went on programs and features, and I see that I have conexant hd audio and hdaudio soft data fax and modem with SmartPc installed. My computer is old. It's a HP Pavilion dv2740se Entertainment Notebook, Windows Vista 32-bit, Service Pack 2.

My sound card is in-built. I thought it might be broken but the computer makes a beep noise whenever I have computer pop up like whenever it is asking me to confirm if I want to install a program or if I press the backspace too much. I am not sure if that means the sound card is okay or not.

Is it?

Any ideas on how to fix my audio problem?

Fyi... A computer doesn't need a sound card to create simple beep tones.

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report
  • Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • You can attach it to your next post by clicking Upload a file to attach it

fyi... A computer doesn't need a sound card to create simple beep tones.

List any Problem devices
  • Make sure devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32. Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, Ctrl-A to select all, Ctrl-C to copy it, Ctrl-V to paste into next post
  • On the other hand, if no devices are listed, tell me so
Generate and attach a DirectX report

• Click Start->Run, enter dxdiag and click OK
    ===> If you’re running 32 bit Windows, dxdiag will launch on its own
    ===> If you’re running 64 bit Windows, you’ll see 64-bit DxDiag. Click it to launch the 64-bit version of dxdiag
  • Notice progress in lower left window corner
  • When done, click Save Information button and save as a text file to your Desktop
  • You can attach it to your next post by clicking Upload a file to attach it

I didn't know that about beep noise. Thanks. I did what u say and check problem devices. Nothing appears. I also attach directx report like u said.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    64 KB · Views: 3
Bad news :( I think your sound card is broken. Here's why:

Your computer has Hi Def (HD) audio. HD Audio connects like this
Windows <====> HD Audio Controller <=====> HD Devices​
Windows only talks to the Audio Controller, it's the controller that talks to the HD audio devices. The controller must be working for HD Audio devices to work. In your case, it looks like your HD Audio Controller is what failed. (Over the years on this forum, I've seen this happen from time-to-time and most often when it happens it's been HP laptops).

The driver for the audio controller comes with Vista. In Vista Device Manager, under System Devices you should be seeing an HD Audio Controller listed similar to this
Vista HD Controller.jpg
It should also be listed in the System Device section of your dxdiag report. But it's not :(

You could try reinstalling the chipset drivers and rebooting. Otherwise, there are cheap USB sound cards available

Hi, If the audio chip ( the controller ) has failed, there are also USB to 3.5mm adapters which would let you plug in headphones, or plug in external powered stereo speakers using a 3.5mm plug.
http://www.talkip4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=36
Also there are low power (0.5W) speakers such as Altec Lansing XT1 which plug into USB connector and don't need extra 240V AC adapter. (I use this type).

Back