Audio stops working randomly after using a microphone (Windows 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is regarding my custom built desktop. my Microphone works fine, and my sound works fine, so long as i dont try to use both at the same time...

Whenever i use a program like ventrilo, or a game that has built in voice chat, or skype, the microphone works great as well as the sound, for a little while, but most of the time after anywehre from three minutes to two hours, the sound on my computer goes out. the microphone continues to work, all the settings in the sound configuration menus are said to be working fine, but the sound just does not work.

a reboot fixes the problem but it will come back as soon as i try to speak again.

Something else to note: When i try to play a movie/mp3 in winamp or itunes, they do not play correctly after this microphone induced problem starts. The mp3's will "play" in that the sound appears to be being sent from the program to the computer but what is wierd is that the bar that shows how far through the song/movie you are, moves at half speed. so instead of going from 0:00, to 0:01 in one second, it moves slower and after about 20 seconds, will only be seven seconds into the song. I cannot hear if this is a graphical problem or a sound problem but since ithappens both in itunes and winamp, this problem is directly related.

for reference, im using the "speakers" option in windows 7's Sound application
my microphone is "novahsdesktopmic" which is what i named mine, and then there is another mic "FrontMic" which is not the default but is in the list.

help!!

update: I have since found out that the microphone is not directly related. Tonight is the first time it went out without using the microphone at all. I was compiling a video and trying to listen to music when it went silent. It seems to kick out whenever i am doing alot of things soundwise.

If you haven't already, uninstall any old sound driver from Programs and Features and reinstall the latest driver. I say latest driver because as long as you are installing one, why use an old one? If you are using onboard sound, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website for that driver.

I updated the audio drivers according to the mobo website, rebooted and all that, and it is still happening. It usually only happens when i use my microphone in some way. Any other tips??

I cant post URLs yet but if you go to tigerdirect and put in the search box: I69-2200
that is my motherboard.

Please help :(

Tell us how the speakers and microphone are connected to the PC. Back connectors? Front panel connectors? If you haven't already, try switching them around.

For testing purposes see what happens when you plug in your speakers to the front green jack, the one you usually plug in your headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back