Audio - This device can not start (Code 10)

Hi there,

Not a computer expert by any means and would really appreciate your help. I tried to download a 'DVD decoder' that would enable me to watch a DVD that wasn't working on Windows Media the other day. This still didn't work and gave me a far more frustrating problem as well....

The sound has now gone and I have a yellow explanation mark next to my audio device (in device manager) and the device status says 'This device can not start (Code 10)'.

My computer is as follows:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
Model: T7870
AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual
Core Processor 4200+
2.20 GHZ
1.00 GB of RAM

I have tried de-installing and re-installing, got rid of any new downloads, checked for Viruses (using Kapersky), checked the wires and done everything on Windows Troubleshooter a number of times!

I saw a few other threads on this and it all resulted in the poster having to buy a new sound card. Mine is built into my system and this all seems quite fiddly and could cause me to do further damage. Has anyone else got any further advice before I go ahead and do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice given. It is much appreciated!

Sounds like the driver needs updating go to manufacturers website and download the latest drivers to your desktop and unpack the driver to your desktop then go into device manager and right click on the sound card select properties and update driver and follow the hard ware wizard and locate the driver you downloaded.

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I downloaded IDT's Driver Navigator, but I am been told that I have the most up to date driver for my IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.

Any other ideas?

Thank you

Ps the speakers do work on other computers.

Go into device manager where the yellow exclamation Mark is and delete it then reboot your computer it should find it, if not have your Morherboard CD to hand.

Instead of using windows media player you could try using Real Player the basic version is free and a lot better.
You can Download here
http://uk.real.com/realplayer/

I have tried de-installing and re-installing,
Did you uninstall any sound driver entry in Add/Remove Program first (or you only uninstalling using Device Manager?)
==> Uninstalling from Device Manager, uninstalls but doesn't remove the driver files
==> Uninstalling from Add/Remove should uninstall and delete the driver files. Then you can reinstall the driver download from IDT and get a clean reinstall attempt

This may be a long shot but since this problem started after you downloaded the decoder, Open Device Manager, rt click the audio device->Properties->Details.

Then use the pull down menu to select and view both Class Upper Filters and Class Lower Filters. Is the display window empty for both of these? or anything appear? (if both show empty, then nothing further to check for)

Back