Audio through HDMI to HDTV?

I am attempting to play audio through my nVidia GTS 250 graphics card on my tv. The TV is connected via HDMI cable using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

I used the S/PDIF cable included with the computer to connect the graphics card to my motherboard as per the instructions in this link:

I cant post the link because of the post limit, if it seems necessary ask and I'll message it to you.

I know that the grounding and SPDIF cables are connected to the correct pins.

That is all I've been able to find to do, but I can't get the audio to play. The Realtek HD audio manager says that digital audio is enabled.

I have two identical video cards connected with SLI, and currently have the SPDIF cable connected to the card that is actually connected to the tv. Would that make a difference?

Any suggestions?

do you have the latest nvidia drivers? they will have an HDMI audio driver in them or you might be able to download that separate.

Since you're connected via DVI to HDMI adapter you are losing your sound. DVI does not pass audio so you should use straight HDMI if you want to keep your audio. If you want to run a digital audio cable from your sound card to your TV make sure you set the TV's input to expect audio from another digital input other than the HDMI port.

LNC it should work with the SPDIF from everything i have read HDMI and DVi are pretty much the same just different connectors.

Thanks for the interest.

I hate asking this, but how do i access the properties of my sound card? The closest thing I've found is the audio manager i mentioned above, and there is no option to enable it or anything remotely similar sounding.

I've also tried the "playback devices" option, accessed by right clicking the volume icon on the taskbar, and there are no disabled devices with the cable plugged in.

Oh, I'm running windows 7 64bit home if that makes any difference.

DVI does not pass audio so you should use straight HDMI if you want to keep your audio.
I was about to make this comment too, so I'll confirm this solution. The DVI-HTMI kills the audio pass-through

Well, that sucks monumentally, and makes me wonder why a video card with DVI outputs has the option at all?

Is there any way, short of switching out my video cards, to get sound out to my tv while still using the HDMI video input? It has a 3.5mm jack, but it will only work with a VGA video input.

If your card has an audio connection to the motherboard, then what output options do you have on the card? If it has audio, I'd expect it to have an hdmi out, it doesn't?

This might be a stupid question, but does your TV actually have an SPDIF >input?

The reason I ask, is because the 2 TVs I own, only have SPDIF >outputs...!

Admittedly, they are cheapies. But for SPDIF sound you would have to route through an AV receiver, asuming the TV only has an output. (This is how I run my home theater, SPDIF OUT from the TV, into the AV receiver)

LNC it should work with the SPDIF from everything i have read HDMI and DVi are pretty much the same just different connectors.
A sound driver is included with video drivers for HDMI, for DVI it isn't.

Back