TechSpot

Australia rethinks plans to collect internet and phone data

By Jesse
Jun 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. While public concern mounts over U.S. government surveillance via the PRISM program and phone call metadata collection, the Australian government has announced that it has paused to rethink efforts to force internet companies to retain two years of phone and...

Read more
  2. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

Well, that's a given. The current government is so unpopular that a cough in public will see them crumble apart. Such a controversial decision can't be made at this time.
  3. noel24

noel24 TS Rookie Posts: 48   +12

On a similar note, Skype just asked me to update it, and I am not sure if it removes NSA/CIA backdoor wiretap or just improves it capabilities?
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,981   +1,488

Why would you think the update was related to NSA/CIA surveillance?
  5. noel24

noel24 TS Rookie Posts: 48   +12

cliffordcooley: OK, a little joke. Maybe to subtle irony, just made me laugh after reading about PRISM whole week and now turning on skype only to find out that M$ is patching something, usually those being security connected.
  6. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

He has a point, Skype is notorious for its listening in on your messages.

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2013/0...nt-exist-sorry-microsoft-can-read-everything/

Good thing all I do on Skype is get naked (it is now extra exciting now I know someone else is watching)...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.