Australian e-tailer Kogan announces 6.8% Internet Explorer 7 tax

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Still surfing the Web with Internet Explorer 7? You'll probably want to update before shopping at Kogan, as the Australian electronics retailer has announced that it will penalize folks using Microsoft's obsolete browser. Customers who visit Kogan's site will see a warning page informing them that their software is outdated along with recommending that they install an alternative browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Opera.

kogan imposing tax shoppers ie7

If the user refuses to upgrade, they'll be forced to pay a 6.8% "Internet Explorer 7 tax" on their order. The 6.8% surcharge amounts to 0.1% for every month IE7 has been available, though it's unclear if the tax will increase each month or if it will remain at 6.8%. The company explains that it has kept its prices low by using technology to improve the efficiency of its business and Microsoft's six-year-old browser makes that tough.

"Our web team having to spend a lot of time making our new website look normal on IE7," Kogan wrote on its blog Wednesday. "It's not only costing us a huge amount, it's affecting any business with an online presence, and costing the Internet economy millions. Customers who enter our site using [IE7] can avoid the impost by simply downloading an up-to-date browser," including a more recent version of Internet Explorer.

kogan imposing tax shoppers ie7

"As Internet citizens, we all have a responsibility to make the Internet a better place. By taking these measures, we are doing our bit. This will help us increase our efficiency, help keep prices for all smart shoppers down, and hopefully help eradicate the world of the pain in the rear that is IE7," the company said. As of May 2012, IE7's global market share is estimated between 1.5% and 5%, depending on the researcher.

Update: Neowin tested the checkout process and the fee is reportedly removed at the last moment. Thanks for the heads up, madboyv1.

Permalink to story.

I think everyone should to this.
allthough microsoft is gonna start whining about laws and such.

Not a bad idea, I wonder if companies will start charging people for other 'older browsers' as well ....... by the way aren't they discriminating against MS by not listing IE9 in recommendations?

Guys the whole thing is a marketing stunt, no company would do this unless they wish to go bankrupt.

Sooner or later, I wouldn't be surprised if if this becomes more of a reality in terms of certain browsers not being let onto certain hotspot or wifi networks. If a browser is deemed too much of a security risk, or even just a burden to support, they just won't let devices using such a browser log on. Or even operating system.

Ahhhh, you don't really know how Kogan operates,He honestly wouldn't give a rats
arse if you didn't buy from him.He has stirred up alot of Hate in the retail world,especially
the older electronic retailers.Clever boy though!

Hilarious, although its sad to think people are so oblivious to the fact that the browser they use is causing more harm than good. Nice to see its a joke in the end too.

So, how much money are they getting from Google, Mozilla, Apple and Opera? This way I can do the same with my YouTube videos and get some cash.

What you all seem to not realize, this is going to hurt the elderly the most. Yea its nice and all that YOURE tech savvy. But Grandma and Grampa arent. Most elderly PC users barely know how to use the older software as is. Now they are going to penalize ppl who arent up to date on the current software. Maybe a little effort on our part and go visit grams and gramps and help them by making sure their software is updated. Just my 2cents.

Mmm, wonder how long before the local retailers take up the idea and run with it...say a 5% surcharge for paying with cash.

I think everyone should to this.
allthough microsoft is gonna start whining about laws and such.
Firstly, learn to spell -_-. Secondly, Microsoft websites a few years ago would deliberately serve wonky CSS files for anyone that was using a non-IE browser. These included using widely negative dimensions and placement values so the web-pages in question would seem broken in any browser that was not IE.

So in regards to Microsoft complaining, they would be just reminding everyone of a ****-move from them they would rather forget...

Firstly, learn to spell -_-. Secondly, Microsoft websites a few years ago would deliberately serve wonky CSS files for anyone that was using a non-IE browser. These included using widely negative dimensions and placement values so the web-pages in question would seem broken in any browser that was not IE.

So in regards to Microsoft complaining, they would be just reminding everyone of a ****-move from them they would rather forget...
in that post it got to a point where (I was typing for a while on my laptop keyboard off to the side of my monitor, which was difficult) that I was so tired backspacing and making corrections that I just said screw it and typed the post.

I didnt really think about it at the time either, it was early in the morning. More I thought about it, the more it makes sense. so...yea.

Back