Autochck not found

By steelberserker
Mar 22, 2008
  1. hey guys i have a problem. last night i was trying to install ubuntu linux on my pc. i have windows xp pro on this pc and made a partition for linux using powerquest partition magic. after installing linux ubuntu on my pc i tried to boot up to windows and it keeps saying autochck not found and is skipping it.
    i have tried using the repair on the windows cd, but i dunno wat to press. one post somewhere said type bootcfg /rebuild but when i tried that it gave me some error how one of the files is corrupt and the login was on F:/ when my system files are on C:/ can somebody help me?
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step

To fix just Autocheck:
    Copy the text between the lines (not including the lines) to Notepad
    Save it as type "All Files" (This is a drop down box, at bottom of Notepad save window, called :"Save as type")
    Give it a name, like fixcheck.reg (you must write .reg at the end of the name)
    And I usually save to Desktop (for convenience)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
    "BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6 b,20,2a,\

Then, double click on the new Reg file on your Desktop
    And merge to registry -ok
    Restart to confirm working

More info here
  3. steelberserker

steelberserker TS Rookie Topic Starter

thnx but before i try it wont that microsoft procedure reset my windows and delete everything? it seems that my C drive is inactive
    p.s. how od i get ot the registry from linux ubuntu?
  4. steelberserker

steelberserker TS Rookie Topic Starter

i tried to use the ptedit method but i dont have a floppy in my computer, can i use my usb thumbdrive, if so how? because it wont let me write to the thumbdrive
  5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

No it won't

It just Repairs it.

But. It does remove all Windows Security updates (to version of Windows CD)

So do it!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.