TechSpot

autochk.exe not found, however...

By gendem
Feb 18, 2004
  1. Hi there

I have a PC that goes into an endless reboot cycle due to autochk not being found, as described here (techspot thread) . It would appear to be the partition table case, not the bad hotfix case, caused by diskeeper.

The problem, however, is that the disk in question is a dynamic disk, and the partitions in question are type 42, so using ptedit may damage the contents of the drive if I switch it to type 07 as described.

Is there anyone out there that has a fix for this case?

UPDATE: Partition Magic resue disks can't do anything with dynamic disks, all operations are disabled and no individual partitions are visible.

UPDATE 2: ERD Commander doesn't seem to work either...trying to log into the windows installtion reports that all 4 hives are missing, even though I can browse the hard disk. Very perplexing. This means that I have no way to actually edit the registry to try the potential solution described in other threads.

UPDATE 3: The windows recovery console doesn't seem to understand the correct size of the drive...it's reporting a 250GB drive as 131GB. This is starting to make me angry now.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

3. Mark Hasenbein

Mark Hasenbein TS Rookie

Autochk not found but boots up fine

:( Downloaded Mic. hotfixes but i dont have kb824105 in add and remove programes. Have a used Dell 4500 my first computer and im a newbee only had it 4 months learn by trying things out. I need some tec help please!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.