Autochk program not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bound33

Not entirely sure how it happened, but after a restart my computer gave me this error after the WIndows splash, it then restarts and goes into a loop. Unable to find a solution and i have looked what feels like nearly everywhere.

Operating system : xp.

And by looking around i ment like..for a solution.i looked at a bunch of sites but couldent find any solutions for my specific problem

i was only (half) kidding when i asked where you looked...

tho surfing for answers online is an art well worth developing over time (and i'm not suggesting i'm an artist. at it but is just a skill that can always be improved). It includes..
  • learning the search engine options by looking in its help guide and playing with them sometime to narrow your search results knowing ahead of time what;s there
  • similar is also experimenting to learn the right types of keywords that help give you better results

That said.... here's microsoft kb more appropriate to your specific problem

ooops... actually, let me take foot slightly out of mouth as i notice that kb is a bit older...

so let me ask
1. Do you have a recovery CD that came w/your computer?
2. Over last couple years, the manufacturer's got cheap and dont' send the CDs with new computers but instead install recovery partition on the drive (may be hidden so you don't normally see it)
3. Typically, to get into it, as soon as you power on and machine starts booting start tapping the F11 key and you should get to the recovery prompt

So u have a CD? And what make/model computer is it?

Unfortunetly i do not have a Recovery CD..which i new would couse problems from the start,,and following your instructions i was unable to use the recovery function without it wanting a cd.

i can't tell the timing... do you post message #6 after my 1st instruction (#4) or have you seen the followup i posted in #5. (message numbers are to the right in the dark colored header preceding new message posts)

so.. you're saying you started the process by tapping F11 to get into the recovery partition and somewhere after that you were prompted for a CD?

Note my post that explains recovery partitions in a line that starts "2. Over last couple years, the manufacturer's got cheap"

(And by the way, what make / model computer is it?)

f11 dident work at all for me..i pressed..i think it was f9 for recovery options but was promted for a disk.. as for make/model..um

the most info i have atm is that the motherboard is a Gigabyte S-series Ultra Durable 2..or something to that effect...cant find out much more becouse i dont have any documentation/access to computer atm

I mean..its no biggy to get it fixed straight away..i had a look about doing it myself but in the end i think im just gonna take it to the tech shop downtown XD..cash for peice of mind

1. Taking it to a shop might be easiest but certainly know what kind of costs you're getting into
  2. One goal of taking it in is seeing if you get a recovery cd created
  3. Note some things that might be confusing terminology
    • "Recovery CD" refers to a CD which contains a number of tools to allow you to recover from problems. The CD includes all the files required to do a new, clean Windows XP install if need be or a re-install (as in, trying to fix current XP files you have installed)
    • One of the tools on the Recovery CD is called the Recovery Console which is where confusion can set in
    • You can find/download/burn an image for the Recovery Console tool and use it to boot up and have certain functionality. However, the Recovery Console (vs. Recovery CD) does not include any of the file needed to reinstall XP or simply replace corrupt Windows XP files on your disk. (If it did Microsoft would be preventing any such tool to be freely available for download as it allow copyright infringement to get it and simply burn an new XP you didn't pay for)
  4. Will also mention is possible you have a recovery partition on your disk and a freeware tool ptedit.exe can help you find and use it. But i don't know how easy you;d find to use it (or find straightforward instructions to use it) but may or may not want to look for yourself. Tho be careful as would think you can screw up what's on the disk now if you don't use it right.
  5. And where did you get your computer? Don't really need to know at this point, but if you need guidance is helpful for anyone to know that too as to what type make/model/etc.
  6. Hope you get it all working and here's a handy site for future reference

Heh yeh..iv already tried ptedit.exe ..couldent figure out how that whole thing worked

Especialy seeing as all guides i try to find on it tell me to use a floppy disk..heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back