Automatic Discovery of Shared Network Printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

baggettms01

I need to know how to stop shared printers on my network from being automatically discovered. I have already unchecked "Automatically Search for Network Folders and Printers" in "Folder Options" and it still discovers printers every time I login after having deleted the printers previously. I am stumped on this one.

in services; set SSDP to startup DISABLED

Q1: What OS are you using?

Q2: Are these printers attached to other systems OR do they attach to the network
using an IP address of their own? if the latter, then also set Bonjour Service to DISABLE

Thanks for your help jobeard:

We are using WinXP SP3 on our local machines and Windows Server 2K3 on our server machines.

I disabled the SSDP service on my machine as a test (this is happening network wide), deleted the printers I don't want and then rebooted, I pulled up the "Printers and Faxes" window and watched it repopulate every single printer. The printers that are coming up are both printers connected to other computers and printers that have their own assigned IP address. On my local machine there is no "Bonjour" service.

For any system that has a Shared Folder, Print/File Sharing must be active to access the Shares.

If any also have Shared Printers, then they will be listed too and I know of no way to share one w/o the other; The only option is to stop sharing the printers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back