Automatic thread watching when disabled in preferences

cliffordcooley

I have my preferences set to never watch threads I create or comment in.

I have been automatically assigned to watch two threads that I have commented in. This led me to check my preferences and did not see anything that may have been added or changed. I decided to enable the automatic watch thread option and then disable it again, hoping there was a glitch somewhere.

However when I looked at the comment box just now, there were checks in the fields to automatically watch the topic when I make a comment. This issue doesn't appear to be affected by all threads as I have made several postings over the last week and have only been automatically notified of two (wish I could remember which two). Which presents an issue of going back to the thread and un-watching the topic, when my preferences should prevent such a thing from taking place.

Looking at the options below, the "Watch this topic..." option is not automatically set. The "Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer hires top Google executive as new COO" is automatically set to watch topic by default.

Can someone please look into this?

I have three new emails because I was automatically subscribed when I have this disabled in my preferences.

I think I understand fully what you mean, but even though we have managed to get our custom-coded CMS and the forum to talk to each other for most relevant/obvious needs, not every setting is passed on and viceversa.

That said, the way I understand this works right now:

1) On the forum side, if you preference is not to watch any topic, it won't (when you post/reply to in the forum).

2) On the main site (news) side, you have the option to watch a discussion or not, and this will override your forum global setting. HOWEVER, if you unmark the checkbox you won't be subscribed.

Furthermore, we set a cookie to remember your preference on the news side. If you unmark the checkbox once, you will always get that unchecked in subsequent page reloads (in all news stories), but if you have it checked, it will remember to always leave that checked, and thus you will be subscribed to all news topics you reply to.

Can you confirm this is not the way it's working for you? I mean, it's not perfect but it's a "good enough" compromise IMO :)

Furthermore, we set a cookie to remember your preference on the news side. If you unmark the checkbox once, you will always get that unchecked in subsequent page reloads (in all news stories), but if you have it checked, it will remember to always leave that checked, and thus you will be subscribed to all news topics you reply to.

Can you confirm this is not the way it's working for you? I mean, it's not perfect but it's a "good enough" compromise IMO :)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I must have done it to myself again. Two issues created all because I cleared my cookies the other night.
  1. One time only site survey popup
  2. Automatic subscription on the news side.
I'll have to get back with you on the idea of cookies storing the selected options as default. My deepest apologies, if I did create my own problems.

Either way I think you make a valid point that your setting should be saved across the site. Thanks for your feedback and hope this works well in the meantime.

For consideration;

commenting on a topic and disabling topic updates is akin to shouting in a lecture hall while wearing ear-plugs imo - -

As soon as you comment, you should face up to the responses that it generates :grin:

Otherwise, let's all move to GUEST status and shout at one another :'(

I don't know, but this thread has >800 views. Similar to the GTX780 bench. Congratulations! :D

jobeard the on-site alerts can't be disabled, it's just email notifications which I agree some may want to get rid of. To be honest, I hadn't added this item to our dev team's to-do but it is now, so it should be sorted out soon, it all depends on the complexity of bridging the data from the user profile (forum DB) to the main site.

jobeard the on-site alerts can't be disabled, it's just email notifications which I agree some may want to get rid of.
I would never, ever want Email notifications disabled. The joy I get seeing who I've pissed off the night before, brightens my day to no end.

A cup of coffee and some hate mail, now that preps me for dealing with the rest of the day in fine fettle and a sparkling good mood...!

captaincranky: There's an important role for the devil's advocate (& NO you are not) - - that of stimulate the group into other perspectives and away from "group think", albeit, "The joy I get seeing who I've pissed off the night before, brightens my day to no end" is a tad perverse :wink:

captaincranky: There's an important role for the devil's advocate (& NO you are not) - - that of stimulate the group into other perspectives and away from "group think", albeit, "The joy I get seeing who I've pissed off the night before, brightens my day to no end" is a tad perverse :wink:
I worked all night and into the wee hours of the morning honing my social commentary and satire to a razor's edge! This was waiting for me when I awoke:

Did u escape a menthal institution or what?

Geezes...
So I said to myself while pouring my morning cup of Joe, "mission accomplished"

Although I'm a tad confused as to exactly what a "menthal" institution really is.

Hm, it's probably some bizarre physical simulation of "actual real life" participation in the Techspot forums...:cool:

Keep those cards and letters coming in folks....! :)

Back