Automatic Update via Internet Explorer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have been having all sorts of problems with my PC since I bought it. It's a Packard Bell Imedia running windows media edition, less than a year old.

Recently I had the computer taken back to PC World, (I know, I know...), and after three days they phoned me up to tell me that my computer did in fact have a problem...(kinda like the reason I brought it in guys!)...

They recommended ressetting it to factory settings, which I agreed to, and I got the PC back a few days later with both drives formatted and the original software re-installed. So far so good...except the original problem is still there but not so bad. I am following up some advice I found in these forums before submitting the main problem for analysis.

However I have now found that I have an additional problem on the machine. When I log into Windows update, internet explorer does one of two things. It either immediately freezes forcing me to Alt Ctrl Del, or it gets through the first stage and tells me what updates I need. 47 mb at last count. It then prepares to install and prepares and prepares and prepares.... you get the picture. When I bring up task manager it says IE is running ok, but if I end task, I get the standard error message asking me if I want to inform microsoft. When I do, microsoft kindly tells me that IE has crashed and it has no idea why.

Lastly before I turned it off for driving me nuts, the automatic update feature with the little shield thing used to load up in my system tray, but it was always stuck on 0%. It wouldn't work either.

I hope someone can offer some help. I really dont want to have to manually uninstall IE and re-install if I dont have to, as due to time restrictions and the fact that I am majorly cursed means that it wont be quick or easy.

I do daily scans for spyware using AdAware and Spybot, and weekly virus scans using AVG which has found nothing yet. I am using a netgear wireless adapter but I am not sure if that would be causing a problem as before I took the computer in it worked fine.

Here's hoping someone can help!

sounds like there's just too much to do/download and there may be issues with
your internet connectivity. Try running the MS UPDATES manually so you can
select the updates for yourself. You may need to run the Genuine Windows Validation,
but when you get to the Updates, click CUSTOM and then select
only the first Critical. Then click Install and monitor your results. Oh, be sure to
run from an account with Admin status.

Jobeard,
Thank you very much for your response. I have gone in as you suggested and clicked on Custom, and selected Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424). There must be something in what you said, because IE didnt crash this time.

However after about 3 minutes the preparing to install changed to Updates were unable to be successfully installed. The following updates were not installed : Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)

Typical Microsoft that was it. No click here for further help etc....

Any other ideas anyone?

KB896424 is Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-053
Vulnerabilities in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Code Execution (896424)

suggest you choose the LOWEST possible MSxxx-yyy number as a first try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back