Automatic updates problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmado

Hi , everytime i boot the pc shows up automatic update of " security update for microsoft XML core services 4.0 service pack 2 (KB954430) ". i have service pack 3 . is it normal to update sp2 when iam having sp3 ? i downloaded the update but i doesn't go away. what should i do ?

Its SP2 update for XML core services 4.0. Its not a SP update for the OS itself.

what do you mean that it doesnt go away?

This is critical upodate for both Windows XP and Vista. For a reason known only to Microsoft, this update needs to be installed manually. one frustrated user did this after the uopdate downloaded 13 times:
What worked to stop this repeating update was to install the update manually. Download the update from Microsoft, saved it to my desktop, and then ran the msi manually. Reboot, log in, reboot again. This finally made this repeating update go-away. This update loaded and reloaded 13 times, until I did it this way. Your mileage may vary.

See if that works for you.
For Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Vista.

It sounds like you have Windows XP- it's always a good idea to tell us what operating system you're using. But on the chance that you have Vista, those users are also having the same problems:

Installing this update on Vista:
To run this, you must run as Administrator:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;922708
How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista

• [1]. Click Start> Run> type cmd> press ENTER.
    [2]. At the command prompt, type ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old> press ENTER.
    (Note After you press ENTER, you may receive the following error message> Cannot find the file specified> Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
    [3]. At the command prompt, type exit> press ENTER.
    [4]. Visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://www.update.microsoft.com
    [5]. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

Many others have had the same problem and the 'trick' appears to be run as Administrator on the Command prompt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back