"Available memory less than 15MB! -276834656" ... wtf?

The quoted in the title is what I get every time I try to run Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines. I've done just about everything short of defragging my computer which I doubt will help any. What I have done is cleared my downloads, emptied my recycle bin, cleared out my downloads folder of files that I am no longer using.

More advanced stuff I've tried from changing my computer performance to setting the amount of memory available to a given window and I have still got nothing. What confuses the hell out of me is I have the system that meets and beats the requirements for this game yet for some reason, out of the 3.74GB of RAM available, this game is struggling, hell, refusing to pull more than 15MB. Anyone care to explain -that- particular puzzle to me because I've been boggled over it for the last three or so hours.

My system...
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor 2.80GHz
Installed RAM (Memory) 4.00 GB (3.74GB usable)
System type: 64 bit OS

And so you don't have to go looking for the System Reqs for the game...
* 3D hardware accelerator card required - 100% DirectX® 9.0c-compatible 64MB video card and drivers
* 1.2 GHz Athlon(tm) or 1.2 GHz Pentium® III processor or higher
* 384MB of RAM (512MB of RAM recommended)
* Microsoft® Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP
* 3.3 GB of uncompressed hard disk space for game files and saved games (plus 1.4 GB for Windows® swap file)
* 100% DirectX® 9.0-compatible 16-bit sound card and drivers
* 100% Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP-compatible mouse, keyboard, and drivers
* DirectX® 9.0c

Please give us complete system specs including graphic card details (I get the impression that it is an on-board solution). I am assuming it is Win 7x64?

Try this for now:

1. Right click on the game's Icon
2. Go to properties
3. Then to Compatibility Tab
4. Check 'Run This Program in Compatibility Mode'
5. Selection 'Windows XP SP3' and Click on OK

Once you have done this try running this game again.

Actually that will not be required, thanks for the response however!

I surfed around more for similar issues and I found someone had a somewhat similar problem starting the game and it was fixed via patching. So after some considerable trouble I found a patch, installed it and the game works like a dream.

Again, thank you for the response <3

Back