TechSpot

Avast accidentally identifies Steam as a trojan

By Matthew
Feb 6, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Just a quick heads up for Avast users: if you're having trouble opening Steam, your malware protection might be to blame. For over an hour Sunday morning, the free antivirus…

Read the whole story

2. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 831   +54

This morning we had a problem with Internet Explorer being falsely spotted as malware/generic-S by Sophos. This was sorted out with an update not long after but not before alot of users called our helpdesk. Its not too common but does occasionally happen.

3. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,624   +378

Hilarious! What is steam doing that made them even consider it? That is the bit I don't get.

4. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,518   +506

Good thing I uninstalled Avast, Microsoft Security Essentials are gaining a lot of ground and for good reasons

5. The5Xfactor

The5Xfactor TS Rookie Posts: 21

I also suspect Avast crashing my Steam (TF2) while playing. I am turning it OFF before starting Steam and so far no crashing!

6. Well my steam does have a lot of things hiding inside of it. They are games that I paid for an enjoy though....

7. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

>Avast

8. they made a mistake. its origin thats the trojan.......

9. venomblade

venomblade TS Rookie Posts: 69

Hm, I have Avast, no problems here with steam, wonder what's different..

10. Good know about the avast internet security.I am already using the COMODO Internet Security Pro 2012.It is really good.

11. dedparrot

dedparrot TS Rookie Posts: 67

AVAST....ANTIVIRUS......HAS..BEEN..UPDATED!

12. Avast is not performing good now a days

13. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,954   +162

Avast eventually started taking days to scan idk if it was infected but I switched to avira and iv been happy ever since the end.

p.s. false positives happen no ones perfect, I just wish they would take wolf team off their lists, maybe they have by now i have not played in over a year but when I did I had to turn off avira, avast or avg in the past. I even wrote them emails.

14. mattfrompa

mattfrompa TS Guru Posts: 493   +23

Been using Steam and Avast for years, no issues here. Avast has been great for me once I got it out of my face (no sounds, minimal pop ups)