TechSpot

Avast most widely used antivirus, uTorrent most popular P2P utility

By Rick
Mar 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. According to Opswat, a software development company based in San Francisco, Avast continues to be the world's preferred antivirus. Avast was found on more than 16 percent of computers worldwide.…

Read the whole story

2. Correction: "In North America, Microsoft Security Essentials also enjoys a comfortable lead with just over 14.5 percent. That's about 6.5 percent more than runner-up, Avast, with just over 9 percent of market." 14.5 - 6.5 = 8. So the correct # would be 5.5

3. Puiu

Puiu TS Maniac Posts: 1,077   +100

You have to admit that Microsoft did a great job with MSE when it's used on vista/win7/win8, but avast is better on xp. I've been using MSE for a year and a half with 0 problems, albeit i do know what to avoid getting infected even without any antivirus (common sense+a bit of knowledge=fairly safe surfing).

But in the end when it comes to it Kaspersky still is the best one you can install on your computer although it's a bit too much for most people.

4. Breech

Breech TS Member Posts: 79

Been using Avast's free edition for years on all the comps in the house and have never had an issue. Combined with Comodo firewall it makes for some pretty solid security.

5. howzz1854

howzz1854 TS Maniac Posts: 585   +79

all thanks to AVG's epic fail last year that wiped out millions of people's computer overnight. ever since i've switched to AVAST on all my machines at home, my friends too.

6. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Thank you for the correction -- I have updated the article with the correct number. :)

7. i have nis 2012 cracked, but avast is the second choice for me when/if nis will get down.

8. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 734   +230

Not terribly surprising - its the best <i>free</i> solution I've tried. The full Avast Internet Security is a very nice package that can go toe to toe with Norton or Eset. It does have one issue I've come up against a number of times, however: for reasons I've never been able to figure out Avast causes noticeable slowdowns on certain PCs running 64-bit versions of Windows. I can't figure out if its some app that I've put on some of the machines or what..its very random.

9. I use to like Avast but MSE is still the fastest around. Remember when AVG was the fastest......now I put it in the same boat as Norton. They suck! When people bring me there PC and say its slow..9 times out of 10 they got one of those or another bloated Antivirus installed. Put MSE on it and it runs sooo smooth. Amazing Job Microsoft!

10. i use panda cloud myself, make sure you keep up to date with detection rates of AVs your favourite mighten be so good as i found out with MSE

11. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

I've always found Avast to be my fave free antivirus. It's created in a country part of my Czechoslovakian heritage, altho now called the Czech Republic, and I am part Slovak. Updates the fastest of any I've found, and its real time scanner is non-intrusive yet finds many bogus downloads. I have it on 2 partitions now. In reality I generally can get name brand antiviruses free from Frys.

12. I have been using Avast free antivirus in my home computer for years. As an appreciation I bought a licence for all of our company's computers.

13. EXCellR8

EXCellR8 The Conservative Posts: 2,278

I really like the new version of Avast but i haven't figured out how to use the non-auto sandbox, if that's even possible anymore. I did notice it scans and analyzes a lot of programs and wants to run them in sandbox mode...

14. Avast that far ahead of AVG? According to Download.com:

AVG - 409,788,204
    total downloads

Avast - 178,688,373
    total downloads

If those numbers can be that far apart, then how can Avast be nearly double? I'm sure there are not over 800+million people using Avast. False advertisement shenanigans!

15. Avast is really goooooood.All of my friends use ut and also suggest me to once try it.
    This web page is also useful.In all it is good.

16. Thats how many downloads AVG has EVER, not during the time period of the study. Also I have downloaded AVG before and tried it out, but after finding out that it was a bit of a system hog, used 1 Avast install file download to install on multiple computers. Can't judge just by amount of downloads alone.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.