Average broadband speed in the US up 28%, South Korea still far ahead

By Jos
Apr 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Akamai has published its “State of the Internet” report for the last quarter of 2012 today, offering an overview of broadband speeds per country as well as figures on denial of service attacks, among other interesting metrics. According to the...

Read more
  2. freythman

freythman TS Booster Posts: 112   +10

Well, let's just hope that Google is able to do a mass deployment of its Fiber service and help us climb the broadband ladder.
  3. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,084   +331

With all the C**k blocking at the state level and cable monopolies its going to be difficult to really expand the service.

And I'm canadian so the service will never be available to me but we all feel the pain of the current system.
  4. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,892   +645

And the UK wasn't even mentioned... Lol
    St1ckM4n and danhodge like this.
  5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Good progress. The emergence of 4K will push this to 50% I hope.
  6. The most informative data to produce is median internet speeds, not average.
    One 100 G link blows the stats. Can those be obtained and posted, please?

7. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,379   +16

Doubt they will, they'll cover a few markets and be done.

Sure would, that's why we won't be seeing them :p .

In me mean time, we'll keep dealing with this .
  8. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Live in the Southern US and get 110mbs down 25 up so well above average here.
  9. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,604   +411

Thankfully we don't need >5Mbps for online gaming or 720p streaming.
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,352   +1,945

South Africa is 128th in the world yet we have a fat submarine cable right on our doorsteps. Go figure.
  11. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 504   +42

The problem with the UK is the bulk of the infrastructure was installed by BT is consists mainly of copper. The copper was originally designed to transmit data at an average speed of 9.6kbps. It's a costly venture to upgrade and no single entity is willing to take on this task as the return is many years if at all.
  12. Burty117

well you say that but I'm getting 80Mbps down and 20mbps up? I really don't think its the copper, besides, I think BT have said nearly 80% of its infrastructure has fiber anyway? either FTTC or the much rarer FTTH.

Its more of the fact the UK has "sweet spots" where broadband is insanely good either through Virgin Fiber or BT fiber (or one of the other random ISP's who use BT as a back bone) and the rest are left behind.

Its a shame when you consider the UK isn't particularly big, the amount of cable that needs laying is nothing compared to what I would bet America has to lay.
  13. I'm on the same package. Our area got fibre around 1 yr ago & we just had it installed.
    Plusnet (rebranded BT Infinity) 80 down & 20 up FTTC.
    Getting 73Mb down & 18 Mb up of throughput so very good. Especially when coming from ADSL2 13Mb down & 1Mb up.
    I can download a 1080p movie in 20 mins if I hog all the download bandwidth :)

I guess I'm lucky to be in one of the sweet spots.
    Burty117 likes this.
  14. Burty117

you came from 13Mb down and 1Mb up! your lucky!

I came from 4Mb down and 0.3Mb up ;)

Sweet spots are nice, but man does it make living in them expensive.
    go up north for a 3 hour drive and the houses get bigger but the prices almost halve! :)
    Gopal Bhat likes this.
  15. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Neither was Australia hahahahha. Perhaps we're looking at the wrong end of the results? :D
    Burty117 likes this.