TechSpot

Average global Internet speeds increased 25 percent in one year

By Shawn Knight
Aug 9, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new study released my Akamai highlighting global Internet connections suggest that Internet speeds on average increased a full 25 percent year-to-year. The global average connection speed was only 2.6 Mbps but once the slow connections are filtered out, we…

Read more

2. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +77

..and here in Canada, they don't speed you up, they simply modify how fast you can get your ~100gb ( 200gb if you pay through the nose for the 'data packages), per month. so you can get to 100gb at 6mbps or at 24mbps, ( time of day and 'data type' restrictions apply to all of course. ( p2p gets knocked down to 512kbps ). The unfortunate costs we pay for letting 2-3 large companies run all of Canada: price fixing on par with the oil companies.

3. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 304   +37

I wish my internet speeds would go up. >.>

4. h4expo

h4expo TS Rookie Posts: 16

@Ranger1st

L2TP allows you to tunnel to another provider outside your country and if you are using SSL or an encryption of some kind, they wont be able to detect what kind of traffic you have in-order to throttle it. The only issue is who to connect with.

5. WithoutAnyMilk

WithoutAnyMilk TS Rookie Posts: 28   +10

And backwater, small-town cable ISP's continue to provide us with the same garbage connections run from a hole in the wall studio. It's funny - just before I came and saw this article, I tried to do a SpeedTest and was completely disgusted with the results. It was a "1-2mpbs down and .5-.9mpbs up. with lots of noise on the line" kind of disgust.

6. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 584   +33

It's easier for smaller geographical areas to get better/faster connections. I'd like to see some kind of adjusted comparison accounting for bigger countries and the challenges they face with all the extra infrastructure they need.

7. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

Now if Charter would stop throttling my connection...

8. Chris Just

Chris Just TS Member Posts: 24

I've been saying my provider is the best with speeds of up to 50MB download and 8 upload http://www.speedtest.net/result/2112383625.png My speed test done a only sec's ago. This test was done while 3 PS3 are online gaming and 6 PCs are running. I have Comcast and at this moment would not change if they jacked up my price 20 bucks more! Not when some of my friends and clients have At&t and get 600KB to 6MB and pay only $20 less then I do for up to 30 times the speeds they get.

9. I have recently found speedOf.me
    I prefer it to speedtest.net

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.