Average global Internet speeds increased 25 percent in one year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new study released my Akamai highlighting global Internet connections suggest that Internet speeds on average increased a full 25 percent year-to-year. The global average connection speed was only 2.6 Mbps but once the slow connections are filtered out, we see that South Korea leads the world with an average speed of 15.7 Mbps followed by Japan at 10.9 Mbps.

Meanwhile, the United States ranks 12th with an average speed of just 6.7 Mbps although speeds did increase by 29 percent over the course of the past year. The title of fastest peak Internet connection speed goes to Hong Kong at 49.3 Mbps with all-around winner South Korea trailing behind just slightly at 47.8 Mbps. The US ranked higher here than they did in the average speed at 28.7 Mbps, good enough for 8th place.

akamai germany akami

60 percent of US residents have a connection speed of 4 Mbps or higher while only 15 percent have net connections of 10 Mbps or higher.

On a state-to-state basis, Delaware comes in first place with an average measured connection speed of 10.2 Mbps. New Hampshire, Vermont, District of Columbia and Utah round out the top five with average speeds of 9.4 Mbps, 9.1 Mbps, 8.9 Mbps and 8.5 Mbps, respectively.

If it’s mobile connection speed that you’re curious about, the fastest average mobile speeds were obtained by an unnamed German provider at 5976 Kbps. Of the three carrier samples from the US, the fastest average speed was only 2515 Kbps. Despite widespread 4G LTE adoption, speeds are still pretty slow on average.

Permalink to story.

..and here in Canada, they don't speed you up, they simply modify how fast you can get your ~100gb ( 200gb if you pay through the nose for the 'data packages), per month. so you can get to 100gb at 6mbps or at 24mbps, ( time of day and 'data type' restrictions apply to all of course. ( p2p gets knocked down to 512kbps ). The unfortunate costs we pay for letting 2-3 large companies run all of Canada: price fixing on par with the oil companies.

@Ranger1st

L2TP allows you to tunnel to another provider outside your country and if you are using SSL or an encryption of some kind, they wont be able to detect what kind of traffic you have in-order to throttle it. The only issue is who to connect with.

And backwater, small-town cable ISP's continue to provide us with the same garbage connections run from a hole in the wall studio. It's funny - just before I came and saw this article, I tried to do a SpeedTest and was completely disgusted with the results. It was a "1-2mpbs down and .5-.9mpbs up. with lots of noise on the line" kind of disgust.

It's easier for smaller geographical areas to get better/faster connections. I'd like to see some kind of adjusted comparison accounting for bigger countries and the challenges they face with all the extra infrastructure they need.

I've been saying my provider is the best with speeds of up to 50MB download and 8 upload http://www.speedtest.net/result/2112383625.png My speed test done a only sec's ago. This test was done while 3 PS3 are online gaming and 6 PCs are running. I have Comcast and at this moment would not change if they jacked up my price 20 bucks more! Not when some of my friends and clients have At&t and get 600KB to 6MB and pay only $20 less then I do for up to 30 times the speeds they get.

Back